1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

A large cleaup job quote?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care, May 9, 2012.

1. Ok I'm going to post some photos of a job I'm supposed to bid today. What kind of prices do you guys think is good to keep the customer happy and myself happy? Throw me some numbers. We are in North Port Florida. I did a cleanup job the other day like this but about 1/10 of this amount. It took us 5 hours and we charged $500. They were happy. I was thinking about $5000 for this one. With debris removal and all.

He bought this Florida home for a winter getaway I would imagine. He owns a large service company up in NY with a beautiful larger home there probably worth about a half million. It sits on 3-4 acres. (Google Earth) :rolleyes:

They want it all hauled away, cleaned up, and mowed. We counted 31 palm trees. There is also about 30-35 feet of overgrowth on the lot from the adjacent lot.

Here is their email from the email I received:

1) As you face the house, the telephone pole to the right of the driveway, clean up the property line straight back to the canal, including the palm tree. Don't cut the palm just pull the vines off and dead palm fronds.
    2) The shoreline along the canal, cut down all the underbrush and clean the palms up, not cut down.
    3) There's a old dock laying on the bank of the canal. I'd like that dragged up out off there and hauled away.
    4) There are 3 crepe myrtles in front of the house that need pruning, but leave the spanish moss.
    5) As you face the house, there's another telephone pole to the left. That's the other boundary line going back to the canal. We'd like you to clean up that property line straight back to the canal, and toward the yard to the right. Don't cut any trees, just pull the vines off and dead palm fronds.
    6) Finally, mow and bag up and haul away all the debris from your work.

2. Post photos
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. :clapping:
    I'm uploading them to Photo Bucket because they are like 8mb per file. Lawnsite only allows like 4mb files. Here is the link. It's uploading as I type. I didn't take a photo of the right side. It's just one foot over overgrowth of fire weed about one foot tall x 120 feet length of the yard. And one nasty mess of a palm. Century link DSL is crappy slow for uploading. By the way the back yard terminates into the canal and it looks like a large gator slide is obvious in the middle. CHOMP.

http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab129/megaviper/

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  4. Just to trim the palms alone I would charge $45/tree. So right there your already at $1,395. Add in clean-up time and hauling just the palm debris lets say $1,800-2-K. Then you have to clean-up all the overgrowth which includes a lot of invasive vines and other crap....yea, I would say $5-K is good. I would throw out $5,200-5,400 and then come down to $5-K cause he might see if he can "get a deal." That way you get what you want and he thinks he's getting a bargain. I hope you have a good chainsaw.

Jobs like this can be very profitable b/c it's a lot of "hand-work," but you have to make sure you get the right amount of $$.....

5. Here was my quote. 31 Palm trees pruning of overgrowth & disposal of waste 31 x 50.00 1,550.00

Clean up & removal of the left side of 2nd lot approximately 30'x120'
    overgrowth & disposal of waste
    Clean up & removal of the right side of 1st lot approximately 1'x120'
    & disposal of waste
    Clean up of canal line area and old rotted dock approximately 3' x 129'
    remaining of all 3 main components of both lots & disposal of waste
    $4750 total. I email it to him already with Quickbooks. :clapping:

Thanks for the input. I'm hurting for work and need all I can get.

6. Good luck. I personally love these types of jobs b/c they are usually a nice one-time check and the people are wanting to get it done ASAP so they usually just go for the price you give them. I hope you get it.

7. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Wear longsleeves and a collared shirt for that job and watch for snakes.

I think both your pricings are spot, on but you won't really know till you get into it.

Glad to see you are getting some work, I'd like to know how you made out after all is said and done.

8. mjlcare2

mjlcare2 LawnSite Member

What are you going to use for disposal method- that''s probably an easy 35+ cubic yards of debris.

9. I was thinking of about 50 plastic trash cans. LOL... :confused:

Nah, I was thinking of taking it to the dump on a trailer at $40 a ton. (several loads) Or maybe getting a dumpster dropped off. (possibly emptied twice)..

He emailed me today. He's considering it still. He has other quotes coming in still. We were talking about the economy. he said his business is down in NY about 60%. He owns a plumbing company and heat and air.

10. mjlcare2

mjlcare2 LawnSite Member

You laugh at the 50 trash cans but that is the exact answer I was expecting you to say.. Try renting a dump trailer if you dont have one.. make your job so much easier