1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A lawn we just picked up today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Varsity L&G, May 15, 2008.

1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I would post a picture. 14k total size

Priced @ 45 Bi-weekly with an on call if we get alot of rain.

Total time on and off was 48 minutes.

I am moving a little slow with the whacker. Got a bit from a brown recluse spider on my back that I go see the surgeon about Friday morning.

2. tras

tras LawnSite Member

Nice yard.
  3. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

A little bit more water on that yard and it will green right up nice!
  4. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

For the spider bite, put HOT water on it as hot as you can stand and keep doing it, some people prefer cold water compresses but a nurse friend of mine in TN said when she was bit the Hot compresses worked and she didn't need any medical assistance.
  5. Varsity L&G

No heat on venomous spider bites, it causes it to spread faster.
  6. Varsity L&G

It was not sunny here today so it does not look as green in the pictures as it is in real life.

It is a corner lot to a nice neighborhood that I already have one account in and would like to get more. The lots are all about the same size. I would almost be willing to mow this account a little more just to get another account an the exposure in this area. I drive through there in my truck and if there is paper or anything on the lawn I already have I stop and pick it up. Both neighbors have lawn service on the account I already had over here and there are others that could use it.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL I have a yard similar to that the grass was SO thick it actually loosened one of my blade bolts...
    Didn't notice until I got to my next yard, thou I did think the cut was crappy I figured it was just the condition of the turf.
    I just ran over it until it looked fine.
    The next yard thou I was like WTH!
    Good old monkey wrenches set that straight.

Oh yeah and then I ran out of gas, you know it, on a steep embankment.
    Couldn't even get the mower out of there, as it was UP hill to get to the truck.
    Had to use the Ztr to refuel the Wb, unfortunately I had left my syphon behind (yes yes I am telling you!) but I found two empty 12 ounce soda cans and with a wire I used that to 'fish' fuel out of the Z's twin tanks LOL! I think 48 ounces later she finally fired up again, what a pita the gas tank was at an angle lol but since the turf was still a mess I went ahead and cut the entire acre one more time.

As I did that I remembered how last night, after fueling up the truck I never did get to refuel the Wb because I couldn't pull UP to the pump (cars in way)... This morning I did the maintenance but totally forgot to refuel the Wb, that 4.5 gallon tank lasted almost 15 yards!

Now I's a get some mpg out of my mowers lol
    And no, I don't carry fuel onboard.
  8. Varsity L&G

Top sites, you see that 4x4 F250 SD in the pic?

Imagine this if you will, I was taking the 44" Toro WB to a property we have and the trailer was already there. I figured I would come home and use ramps to get the mower on there and then use the loading dock to get it off and bring it back home on the trailer. Keep in mind that flat bed is over 4' off the ground.

Well I am here at the house by myself and am using 2 2x4's that are 8 feet long. The mower ran out of gas just as the front wheels hit the deck. I struggle and knock the ramp loose falling to my knees now holding a WB on the truck with nothing but it's front wheels. I think the only thing that got that mower on the truck was the fear of dropping it on myself and loosing a damn good mower. I think I pulled every muscle in my chest arms and legs, skinned my knees and learned to never do that again. Once I had it on there I fell to the ground and thought I was going to have a heart attack. I am 5'10" weighing 175#.
  9. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good, ouch on the spider bite
  10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I was mowing a slope once with a 44" wb and must have been running low on gas cause that thing died half way up the hill (I think due to the angle) and started sliding back toward me pinning me against a chainlink fence with a 6 ft. dropoff on the other side. I got out ok but the mower was tangled up in the fence and after a half hour I got it out, but with nowhere to go but up that bastard died on me again got tangled in the fence all over again. New rule: full tank on slopes. Ramps are almost never safe as you found out, I almost had my 44 come down on me that way too. I had to summon some crazy unknown strength to save myself that time, so I know just what you mean on that one. I still use them when I have to though.
    BTW good luck with the bite, those spiders are real nasty.