A lesson learned. . .

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cpritch, Apr 2, 2006.

1. cpritch

cpritch LawnSite Member

I get a call for a general Spring Clean up. No problem. They also want all of the beds hand weeded, no chemicals. I say, "No Problem, I'm not licensed to apply herbicides so I root up all weeds by hand." They also want mulch put in all of the front landscaping beds. "No problem."

Uh, well, the problem: I was in a hurry when I went to do the estimate, a huge hurry. I didn't take the time to thoroughly walk the property, didn't walk all of the MASSIVE beds at the rear of the property to fully comprehend how many weeds, how much leaf material, etc., and how much TIME it was going to take me to remove all of this cr$p.

Lesson: Take your time when doing/giving estimates or you'll be kicking yourself all weekend when you're still trying to finish up a job you thought you would have knocked out in a couple of hours, ON FRIDAY. UUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

I am still so pissed at myself I can barely breathe. Learning experience, for sure. Not one that I'm likely to repeat, God willing. Oh, and yes, there is no question about why the customer was so pleased about the estimate. . .

UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHH. :cry: :hammerhead:

2. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

yeah i totaly agree i had the same thing happen to me its really frustrating

3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Good to see you took it in stride. We all do it from time to time but like you said, its definatly a learning experience that hopefully you only do once :)

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I happens to everyone sad to say:cry:

5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I used to work at communicolor before retiring to Florida. Heard they closed shop. Do you know what it is now?

6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

It happens, expecially in spring when we're all in a hurry to get back to work.

7. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I take a small index card with me to all estimates and write down every thing that needs to be removed and hauled I write each different item in as how many trash cans it will fill or by how many truck beds it will fill so that I can get a little better idea on how long it will take then I go home and talk it out with my fiance on what she thinks it always helps to have another idea on how much you should charge oh yeah my fiance is the owner to so that helps a little but I say never give an estimate without getting atleast one more input on it. I hope that helps a little

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Hard lesson learned..Always walk the property and go home and think about the work involved before you give a price..hurry just costs you time and money!

9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

What...you mean you didn't ask for more $$$?:rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good man!!!:drinkup:

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

been there, done that. but i handled it differently. it was like this- pull up, start working.......quickly realize i should have charged 4 times my bid. grab helper for a quich meeting, "ok, eugene, here's the deal. we are getting the **** out of here. don't look around, just act natural. walk to the truck, shut the blower off, and sit in the truck. i'll, be right behind you."