A lesson well learned

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by T. Matthews, Jul 16, 2003.

1. T. Matthews

T. Matthews LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,

Just this past Spring a friend/ lawyer got me his condo complex to care for and maintain 48 units. We did our Spring clean up even though they called us late in the season to do work. The property is good size and all has to be watered by hoses( no under ground sprinkler). So we sweep all the 10 ton of sand and spread 25 yds of mulch along with removing all the old mulch from 20 years. Oh not to mention the property is infested with poison ivy. We get 1/4 threw the seaon and the first payment is due i get nothing. So after a run around i get a hold of the treasurer of the condo trust. He tells me i was too expensive and that f he knew that he would have never voted to have me doteh work. Also not to mention that they spend 18000 on snow removal and were now broke. I told him i was 5000 less than the person last year. SO i stoped work until they payed up. So now I 'm half way thew the year I have unnecessary disputs with customers they tell me I'm not doing the work. I tell them its not in the contract. So i go back to my friend/ lawyer and tell him it's not working outand that i can't maintain the property any longer. He tries taking me to court for breech of contract. Well he had nothing in writing and was all verbal and it just ended. So we all lost in this case.'

Tom

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

With friends like that, who needs enemies......

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Hope he is not still your friend.

Interesting story. Thanks for posting.

Shame you did all that work in the spring for nothing.

4. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts exactly.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Word of advice Serice Contracts/Maintenance Agreements - must be signed. Any larger job including materials - get deposit first.