A Lil advice to the new guys!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by KrayzKajun, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Stop quoting/bidding jobs without looking at them in person.

The End.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Seconded
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

And listen to what people try to tell you
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

No such thing as a price for an "AVERAGE" lawn.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Amen! Estimates mean you actually walk the property aswell, not just do a flyby in the truck

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This is pretty ignorant "advice". I hate to burst anyone's bubble here, but there is absolutely no need to go take a look at a 6k sq.ft. property in person before giving an estimate. You can see every square foot in decent detail online. By all means I'm not saying don't do your homework on the property before giving an estimate, and I'm not saying you should ever say you charge X amount for an "average" sized property. But the premise that you should have to go out and literally walk every single property you need to do an estimate for is ridiculous and frankly horrible "advice". Again, I'm not saying it isn't advisable or downright necessary in some instances. If you are in an area where there are only acre+ properties then by all means, go out and take a look at them. Let's just not go around throwing this crap out as gospel type advice for everyone because there are all sorts of folks in differing circumstances from yours that this "advice" should be taken as pure crap.

7. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed. And the thing about bidding from what you see online is that say on google earth for instance. Those maps are outdated and you can't see much detail in my experience. A lot can change on a single property in a short amount of time. The absolute best thing you can do is walk a property to get the best idea of how long it will take you to complete the job because of obstacles or hills etc. In conclusion. Walking the jobsite before giving an estimate is an absolute MUST

8. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey woody,
    I have to disagree with you on this one. I do believe you have to do a sight visit on all properties. Not only to view actual conditions and needs but to find out customers expectations before pinning a price on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Pictures don't show dog poop, they may not show that the new owner has toys scattered all through the back lawn, pictures do not let you get a feel for the customer and what they are comfortable spending, what they are more concerned about , price or quality or a bit of both.

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

The heading was for "new guys" and for them I cannot find any fault with this advice. You do need to see what your bidding on especially when you have little or no experience in bidding.

Now I do know where your coming from woody and if we know a neighborhood we will often shoot a quote out sight unseen. But I would caution someone from doing this till they have their basics learned and are confident in their pricing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.