A Lil advice to the new guys!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by KrayzKajun, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no such thing as an average lawn, let alone a price for it.

2. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

I have sneeky people emailing me for a quote saying how much is your price for an average so and so lawn and they describe it. But I started to figure out that this is really my competition trying to get what I charge.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Not only to see the property but to meet the customer, for several reasons.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Your best shot at getting the job is if the customer meets you and likes you. So that is another good reason to see the property in person. The customer could get multiple equal phone bids. So what would sway them to pick you?

5. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

You are a newby, you 've been full time for like 3 years. Let us know when you get to the 20 year mark.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im irrigation and landscape lighting only. I refuse to do drive by estimates. If I don't have a chance to sell me and my company then Im just a price. I don't want to be just a price , especialy the lowest one.

7. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Hmm. Blind leading the blind?
    Whats the law of averages say?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

There is no better way to close the deal than meeting the customer at the property in person. During the walk around I also up sell other needed work. If the customer isnt around I still walk the property to put together a full proposal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

I typically agree that I will not look at a job unless the client is willing to meet me, but I sold a little $250 per month maintenance a couple days ago from my office desk. She had used my irrigation service tech last year, so she was already sold on our service, and I knew the typical layout of the neighborhood... so no use wasting my time setting an appointment... just quoted over the phone and landed the job.

10. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Im not saying it cant be done, but the one time I tried this was on a 3 acre property in which there was only one house on the internet photo... well I showed up to mow the next week and there was a foundation and units of materials laid throughout the site which all needed to be trimmed around and you couldnt hold a straight line. An hour and a half which ended up being 2+ hours. I dont need to get screwed twice to learn my lesson. Walk it and meet with clients, its just part of the business

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.