a little advice on this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 6, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

man, talk about taking the wind out of my sails. have you ever just had that feeling, that a new cutomer would end up being a pain? well i signed this guy up in early march. he was very thorough, asked tons of questions, and expressed his concerns, as he had been through several services and was just not pleased. i assured him we were very competent, and if there was something he didn't like, i would do everything possible to please him. ok, we're on. been there 5 times, never a complaint, and i actually never saw him(though i could see him peeking through the window). show up today, grass was very high. started cutting, he comes out and he's staring. i say is everything ok? well, no he says, it's kind of high, shouldn't u be bagging it? nope, i'll double cut i say. he says well last time u shot the grass on my house( i know i didn't, i'm very sure). ok, i'll bag it, you have a barrel? he says he can't get rid of grass, they won't take it. i say niether can i. ok, screw it, i'll take it, leave it at my next stop. he stares the entire time, watching me mow. i'm gettin a little sick. i get done, the lawn is georgous, i mean, one of these lawns that i keep looking back as i'm packing up, it looks real nice. we start chatting, he says, "it really looks like sh!t, but i have faith in you, you'll get it right." i almost fell over. the lawn is great, green, thick, lush. he goes on to say, "years ago, when i did it myself, this was one great lawn, but it really went to cr@p, i hope you can fix it." again, i don't see a flaw in the lawn, not one. now, my instincts tell me, get the heck out before it gets ugly. he doesn't have any irrigation, and says he doesn't water with the hose, so if he's unhappy now, what am i in for in mid july? he's paid up to date, and now he insists on bagging(contract says no bagging) and is critisizing the lawn. i asked him , "what could you possibly NOT LIKE ABOUT THIS LAWN, it's the best one around the neighborhood?" he says, "nothing in particular, just the overall quality, i just don't like it." i'm seriously considering sending out a dear john letter, like tommorow! i'm in no mood to deal with a customer who can't be pleased,and who watches me work. i picked up 5 new lawns in the last 2 days. do i really need this? i made a deal with myself this year, i aint bailing on anyone, i'll do what i have to do to make all my customers happy, i'm just afraid, i'll never satisfy him, and things will get ugly. would you bail now, or try to work through it?

2. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

drop em he will waste more of your time than he is worth. he might ask you back later if you did the best job of all the lawn services

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Don't bail,Some people just like to hear themselves complain.
    Smile and nod,smile and nod.
    See what happens in a month or so,if it continues then say"dear john"...............................

4. lawnGUYnMD

lawnGUYnMD LawnSite Member

Well Bobby, I would give it 1 more time and if he tells you that your quality work " it really looks like sh!t" Then I would drop him like a fat chick. Good luck with it.

5. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

Wow, you have so many people that are PITA's as i found out from other stuff you posted.

6. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

No way you need (or deserve) that type of customer.

7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, I have a customer right now where I'm in the same position as you. The husband doesn't care what the yard looks like how much I charge, and so on... (and is paying the bills) but the wife is the picky one. She doesn't have a job and I guess doesn't have a life either besides working in the yard. This is by far the nicest yard I have right now and she does everything but mow the grass, trim, edge and blow, which I do. She works in the yard 24/7 I can tell, and even asked her one day how much time she spends in it and she responded by saying "at least 4-5 hours a day, 7 days a week". I am currently charging $45 a week and the yard takes my crew approx 20 minutes to complete. Since I picked up the yard two months ago the bills have always been paid on time or early, but she has also called me twice to complain. This yard is just like the one your talking about, it has perfect stripes, and everything I do looks awesome but she just isn't happy. Last week she called me up and said that the clippings had flown into the little pond around the deck and that some of the mulch had a little bit of clippings in it. I don't know what to do, I went back and looked at it and there was hardly any clippings in the mulch (none that would be noticed by anyone but her) and the pond was fine by my standards. While I make good money on this yard, I really don't know if it's worth her bothering me. But then again her husband doesn't care and says we do a good job (he told me so). Do I drop it, or do I keep it? I'm intresed in what others have to say to Bobby and I.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would wait until July and see what he says then

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my biggest concern is, now i'm bagging and hauling(it's not covered), he complains while the yard is beautiful, and like i said, he doesn't water. when the lawn turns to crap in july and august from lack of water, then what? i talked it over with my wife, she laughed, she said , "excuse me sir, have you seen my husband bob?" what she was trying to say is, usually i drop them without a second thought. we decided that since i picked up like 4 or 5 in 2 days, do i need him? should i really be thinking about his grass at 11:45 at night? nah. he's gone

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if he wants you to bag again tell him that it's not covered under contract but I would be more than happy to do it for an additional charge. Wonder what he would say then.