1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A little advice please???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 4, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'm kind of stuck in the middle here. My mowers cut fine discharging, but if i put the mulch plug in (cutting once a week) it is gonna be slower going. I may have to drive almost half as fast as discharging due to horsepower of machinery, grass height, in some areas, others maybe 2/3 speed. Point is, where do I draw the line at? Should I mulch smaller places and discharge larger ones, or what? Mulching will take more time, but leave better finish, but most people don't want to pay for it but I hate leaving a lawn with the clippings all over it from discharging then they feel they aren't getting their money's worth, but they're wrong and I can't argue with them... I mean, they do get what they pay for, and if it didn't take much longer i'd mulch, but it probably will at once a week cuts on most places.... especially this time of year. Any advice as to mulching vs. discharging? The only time I'll use a bagger on anything other than push mower is for leaves. I won't mulch them once they start falling heavy. thanx,

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

Go out and buy you an exmark and forget about it. With 18,500 rpm blade tip speed you will not have to mulch. I cut a property with my new 52" w/b and 60" lazer that had got over a foot tall and did not even have to double cut it. Just can't help to love these mowers.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

That's fine with me- but I don't have enough lawns right now. I'm working with some homeowner equipment that I have fixed up to use (stuff listed in signature, i don't use the Bush Hog for lawn mowing unless it's so tall or need backup) the 32" Toro is a 1989 rear engine rider, 8hp B&S I/C that I put new rings in. runs good. all my stuff starts first pull and runs good, doesn't smoke. if something does go wrong, I am a good mechanic and can fix it easily and have cheap parts sources. But as soon as I can afford it, I'll be getting a used WB and hopefully new push mower and trimmer. I can make a sulky for the WB for the larger lawns. I had a sweet deal lined up on a 44"/17hp Lazer ZTR, but when I called again it was sold. I'm hoping to really grow the biz this year, so maybe later this year or soon thereafter I can get some better stuff. But I know that this stuff i got now will make it for a while. It's all pretty much the premium homeowner stuff, cast iron axles that pivot and real frames not stamped sheet, hell the hood of that Bush Hog is 1/8" thick plate steel!!! must weigh 15lbs...
    anyway, i'm keeping my eye out for good deals and passing out more fliers in the meantime...
  4. rockcreeklawnser.

rockcreeklawnser. LawnSite Member

I mulch all of my lawns. I try to educate the hom owners of the benefits when I bid the job,you see it`s not just for my benefit it is for theirs also. they can cut the fertilizer rate by 20-30%.The mulched up clippings also work as compost/mulch,when the temps get in the 90s and te groung gets dry and hard,this will hold the moisture for the grass,thus it will be greener longer than the neighbors.It will take several months to see the benefits,but I think it is worth it. The customers are happy,I`m happy. Now back to the fertilizer subject.some customers understand when I explain about cuuting aplication rates,others it goes in one ear and out the other. These customers usually have a contractwith another co. to put fertilizer on,[I am not licensed],This is where I get my headaches.These companies sell a season long contract,regardless of what the homeowner wants,they apply at their usual rates. This tends to slow me down,but I take this in stride when I bid a job,am also a solo operater,[most customers think they`re getting speacial treatment for the amount of time that I spend.] They are , they get the benefit of a great looking yard ,I get the extra bucks.I flat out tell them that this is the way I do things and this is what I charge,[alittle higher than the other LCOs] and try to sell them on the benefits of mulching,after a couple of months they get an education.Usually the neighbors want an estiment. [work smart, not hard!!] Good luck,and happy mowing!