1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Little advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jhoneycutt, Feb 22, 2006.

1. jhoneycutt

jhoneycutt LawnSite Member

I do lawncare as a part-time job now, for the last 12 yrs.I have a coulpe of questions for the "PROS" . (1) what else can I do to get more work,(2) At what level do I need to be to have Ins., Taxes, etc...(piedmont N.C.) Thanks for the help!
  2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

To get more work you need to advertise, try flyers and/or door hangers. You also need to be out there working. Most people on this forum pick up a lot of customers just by being out there doing work. They are either seen or referred by exsisting companies.

As for the insurance and the licensing...you need to do this, like, before you started part-time. It doesn't cost much if you shop around. I normally pay off my insurance and liscense in about a week if you work hard.

Nice to have you on Lawn Site. Keep reading and you will learn a lot.
  3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't have said it better myself. Do this now! Pay it up front or after a week or two worth of work and be done with it. The coolest thing about this is..... Your A$$ is covered!! For some reason some like to be bull headed and disagree.
    Good luck to you and welcome!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Don't take this the wrong way but if you have been doing this for 12 years and still have a hard time getting work you must be doing bad work. You area is growing so fast that most can not keep up with the work. Just being out there will produce more. Do you have signs on the truck??
    Do you have cards to hand out?? Do you hand out flyers??
    Do those things and it will happen. What do you do full time. Do you have time to do extra work.
    If you feel it is the area, drive over here. I can not keep up!
  5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Somtimes it's not about getting more clients as much as it is about getting more out of your exisiting clients. Do you have other services that you can sell your existing clients? ie: fertilization, weed control, pruning, sprinkling system maintenance, aerating, etc.
  6. jhoneycutt

jhoneycutt LawnSite Member

Thanks PMLAWN but it's not really the area it's the ins. & tax thing. Do you think it would be profitable for me to drive to mooresville? My father runs Mooresville Glass? Thanks again for the help everyone!
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

or get out...... 12 years and not enough customers,..... id say somthing is wrong.... are you an adult... or a minor..... it helps to put this info on your profile why have you waited this long to consider being a legitamate company.....it could only help you