1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Little EFI help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by piston slapper, Feb 15, 2012.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The boss had me pull this Toro 72 Z master in from out in the back.
    Its been sitting outside for a few years...
    I'm trying to figure out whether to remove the EFI stuff and replace the fuel and electrical systems with regular carbureted stuff.

I know Im supposed to know this stuff.....Truth is I've seen more EFI's at the update schools than I've seen in person.

Here's the problem...installed a battery and new fuse.
    Engine rolls over but no spark and no fuel pump....
    No codes....only 61....
    I knew there would be bugs in this thing....jusy didnt expect the bull ants...Really.....

Any advice will be appreciated....

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Drag it back around back !!!

Do you have power and ground to the fuel pump ? There is a relay for the pump, Maybe a look through section 5a in the manual will help.

I've only worked on a couple myself and used the manual flow charts to test/locate the issues....
  3. piston slapper

No power to the fuel pump.
    Onlt able to locate 1 fuse holder.
    Any place to download a Toro 286E Zmaster 72 wiring diagram?
  4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Rob, you affirmed my initial thought--take it back out side.

Slapper, for a unit that has sat outside for a couple of Floriduh years(heat, rain, humidity), I think you have a real challenge on your hands--innumerable electrical/wiring problems, not that they can't be overcome.

I would agree with your thoughts on changing to a carbureted system might be your best solution.

I've worked on a couple of EFI units but fortunately it was not the EFI that was the problem.

As many units that you and Rob go through, it's rather surprising that you haven't seen more EFI's.

Good luck
  5. piston slapper

EFI's dont really have many problems.....unless you put it in a lake....
    or leave it outside in the weather for a few years.
    Carb, Intake, Flywheel, and Coils, misc wiring.....Level the playing field...
    If I can get the wiring diagram maybe I can get it running good enough to sell "as is".
  6. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Slapper, I did run across the following link but it's not your model. It is from Toro's website but I didn't spend a lot of time on trying to navigate to the Z286.

You probably know your way around on the net better than I so you may want to explore the possibility.

7. piston slapper

Dutch...Thanks for trying...
    Toro is full of general info but not much on specifics....
    Thats OK....One day they'll call me and I'll return the favor.....
    Thanx again....
  8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Whats the actual Toro model number?

What are you testing spark with? That pic looks like its the special Kohler tester but I think thats only needed for the Smart Spark engines. Try a regular spark test or a grounded spark plug and see if you have anything. I would have to look at some wiring diagrams but I would guess you should have power at the coils with the key on so you could check that.

The fuel pump will only run for a short time so dont expect it to be on constant. See if you are getting power at the relay for that...again turn the key on and check the meter quick.

I wonder if yours is like the one I put a computer in a long time ago...ugh...stupidest worst place to mount a computer I have ever seen. I think they were trying to hide it from the end user so they wouldnt be able to touch it.

At least you are getting the blink code so the computer is working.
  9. pugs

I think you have a 74241 so try these:

10. pugs

Wow, after looking at that more...I apologize on behalf of Toro for the horrible wiring diagram LOL.