A little fab work- custom receiver hitch for 2-ton

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by FrankenScagMachines, Nov 16, 2005.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Since we had a midwest monsoon yesterday all day, and the dealer is putting my Ultra-Vac QDS on for me today I figured I'd take the time and build a receiver hitch for the dump truck so i can pull the cleanup equip. with it, this will save a lot of time and fuel money, best single thing I did recently I beleive plus cost $31 for steel, a little bit of time... pic was after i just welded it onto the truck frame. After that I wired up a trailer plug so its at least usable tomorrow when i get back at work. i have yet to clean the welds and primer it.

The vertical peices are 3/8" x 4" x 24" plate
    The middle crossmember is 1/4" x 2" x 4" x 34" angle
    The bottom cross tube is 1/4" x 2.5" x 34" square tube

Works perfect! The welds turned out good. The placement is perfect, the height is the same as on my pickup so the inserts don't have to be flipped over or anything (quick/easy to interchange no hassle of turning the ball over), the ball is still under the bed but it has to for the bed to dump, and its just right, it dumps fully but at full tilt the bed brushes the ball so its just right :) I think it will be strong enough for what I am pulling (2 tons at most usually).

I'm very happy with the outcome and wish I had done it sooner. Can't wait to use it now :)

hitch1.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

pic 2.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

dumb 15 character rule.. what a buncha malarky....

hitch2.jpg

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good to me. But where do the safety chains hook at?

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Yeah I noticed when i was working on the wiring that I did not have those. will git r done later. lol it works for now. this truck will have no clue whats behind it lol....

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

looks good.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I bet when all loaded down that 66' Chevy gets a lot of people pissed off, as acceleration off the line takes forever. I used to have one myself (a newer one). It took a country mile for it to get up to speed.

7. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

that piece of angle iron looks like it could collect water cause it have a V facing upwards

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks Troy.

South Florida, don't know all I can see is the roofs of their cars haha... It CAN move OK, but yeah its slow. For a 9500# (empty) truck with a little straight 6 (292) it isn't as slow as it could be...

snowyleaflandscaping, yeah I messed that part up on accident, i had it laying flat on the ground welding and just wedged it in place and didn't even think about the way it would face... oh well i'll drill a few small holes in it... its up under the bed anyway where rain doesn't go.....

9. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

It looks as if the receiver could be stronger if it were welded to the top or bottom of the square tubing, instead of the side (correct me if i see this wrong, or if you need a better explanaion). I would make sure all welds are good for liability reasons. Glad to see you found a purpose for the rops.

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

don't see how it would make any difference.... all of the factory built receivers i've seen were done like this. Yeah beleive me i went over most welds twice, max heat, slow and overlapped a lot...