1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A little help from my friends...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJStrain, Sep 11, 2002.

1. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

I'm fixing to reseed a lawn that one of our local "Pros" did this summer (must have been in the 90's everyday when he started). Anyway, he didn't even bother to kill off all the weeds that were already moved in and taking a siesta. This is new construction lots by the way. Problem is this, there is soy beans, crabgrass and some other weed that grows similar to crabgrass (ie. flat oval close to the ground). These weeds are easy enough to kill, but what about removal? If I just seed over them much of the seed will be sitting on top of the weeds. Will power raking or even verticutting pull those weeds out so they can then be raked up and disposed of? Or is that crazy brunette I call my wife really right when she says I'll probably have to pull each of those bad little boys out of the ground by hand? Tell me it ain't so! Never done new construction lots before, so any help would be appreciated! I've got about 400 other owners that will be out there watching what I do. I really need to know and look like I know what I'm doing!

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

If they are killed I dont see why they have to be removed. They are dead and will not grow back. They will just decompose, just cut or trim them as close to the ground as possible. thats my opinion.
  3. deason

deason LawnSite Member

When planting wheat behind soybeans, we used to sew the wheat by air then harvest the soybeans. The soybean stuble would act as a compost and the wheat would come up through it. If it is a bad of a situation as you say it is, your best bet may be to apply weed killer, then seed, then cut the dead grass down and leave be.