A little help here

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CLC, Nov 22, 2001.

1. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

OK I have a client, and he wants me to make a drive way to where his house is gonna be. Heres the thing the begining of the driveway is though a feild and the rest is in the woods. But no big trees in the way just saplings but all cut down. Now should I rent a bobcat or somthing along that line to scrap off the top layer of soil and what should I do bring fill then gravel
  2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You should sub the job out to some one you know in construction that has the knoledge and equipement to do the job properly.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Work out a deal where you can work along side an excavating company and still make your $$. Its a little more complicated than scraping off the top layer of topsoil.

If you have the room it may be faster to bring in a mid size excavator or backhoe and dig it out while loading trucks.

How long is the driveway, and how wide? How deep do you have to go to hit stable ground that doesn't pump?

You'll need at the least a few dump trucks (unless you can dump the top fill at the site.
    An ecavator or backhoe or other type of mid size loader

A roller, etc.

What kind of stone does he want it finished with? You say gravel and I know thats a loosely used term around here.

Give us some of the specs and we'll see what we come up with.
  4. Andrew Hardscape

Andrew Hardscape LawnSite Member

Definitely sub this out to an excavating contractor.

Sounds a little strange. Are they not planning to build for a while? Ususally person(s) who digs the foundation, also does all the other dirt work.
  5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Andrew, great website man, looks great and very proffesional.

Good to see you over here more now.