A little help on turf divots

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indy2tall, Oct 1, 2006.

1. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

Having the normal assortment of walk behinds and a ZTR I create a turf divot from time to time. (not very often but to me any is too many)

I was wondering if any of you had ever experimented with changing your tire pressure to help avoid divots. NOW PLEASE, no stupid ass comments about following the tire makers recommended tire pressure, I always do. I am just curious if anyone has tried increasing or decreasing by a few pounds and if they noticed any effect.

Also is there a tire style that tends to lessen tearing turf? I am wondering if the tire you tend to always see on a Dixie Chopper (the smooth tire with the large directional ridges) is better.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Its al in how you turn with the Z. I have super lugs on mine. Which look like big tractor tires. All tires (except bald) will tear turf, some more than others.
    Most will suggest that you make sure the inside wheel, is always moving while turning. It does help alot. Mow in diff directions, change your turning points. Make them wider at times.

The tires on choppers, are no better then mine. Turf tracer tires are probably the best on not tearing turf. But not very good on slopes.

3. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I know that if your tires are to hard then there is less surface area touching the ground, therefore, easier to tear turf. On the other extreme, if they are to soft, makes the pump system work harder and barely tears a big patch of grass. I know, i've done it. I hate to say it but I think that the manufacturer is correct on this one.