1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A little help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GameDawg33, Dec 2, 2006.

1. GameDawg33

GameDawg33 LawnSite Member

I've been maintaing lawns now for awhile, but in the last 6 months i've started doing landscape jobs. I would greatly appreciate some inpute on what to bid this job. A rough estimate would be greatly appreciated.

1)I have to redefine some parts of beds, over half are still good
    2)Till beds
    3)Fertilize all exsisting palms & plants
    4)Treat 6 Qeen Sagos for asian scale
    5)Trim up all palms and prune plants
    6)Remove 2 four foot Qeen Sagos
    7)Remove one 7 foot crape Myrtle
    8)Remove 2 big peace lillys
    9) Remove about 40 Holly Ferns
    10) Remove about 40 Liriope
    11)Remove about 15 big African Iris
    12)Remove cluster of ginger
    13)Spray about 100foot by 4 foot section of property with Sahara & clean out all vines Etc.
    14)Lay out a path of flagstone through landscape area.
    1 10" triple Foxtail Palm
    1 15 gal. Cat Palm
    4 10 Gal. plants
    2 7 Gal. plants
    60 3 Gal. plants
    100 1 Gal. plants
    500 2 cubic foot bags of red mulch
    All plants and mulch picked up & delivered and installed.
    The total cost of materials to me is $2955.50
    Thank You,
    Nick, Knockout Landscaping
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

x2 + removal and disposal + the edging + rental of tiller (even if you own it)...........how big are the beds, how much are you edging, how far do you have to travel to the job, to the dump, past work with this customer, is there a pinto or a porche in the driveway, how many days will it take you to do the job, does it compensate well, don't forget you have (you better) pay taxes on what you make, truck payment, want to buy something???

but basically what i said before rambling is good for estimating but the rambling gives you an idea of what to think of besides a check in the hand.........after you do a few decent jobs you'll really find out what to charge and when to walk away
  3. GameDawg33

On Friday I will pick up all plants and mulch, deliver them to the house, prep the beds and lay plants out. Then Saturday me and my partner plus two laborers will finish the job.

Actually there is a Porche and a Escalade in the driveway sitting on two and a half acres on the river, 1.2 million dollar house recently purchased.
    I already did the cleanup on the property and there is still more landscaping needed as this is just front the front of the property. I also do the lawn maintenance on the property. I still want to give him a fair price without lowballing it.Edging the bedes wont be trhat hard.The total of my cost above include everything except my gas, the trip to the dump, and the cost of the two laborers. And dont worry as I'm totally legit.
  4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

bout 12 to 14 grand......total.
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

no offense, but questions like this are why all the vets here keep harping on knowing your costs....

you have to know how much it will cost YOU to do the job.
    pull a figure on how long it will take for you to do the job. This is your labor cost ( YOUR COST, NOT YOUR HOURLY RATE..it is different for labor when you're not using mowers).
    Then figure all materials to be used.
    then any equipment used....

add the three together and that is YOUR cost in the job.
    add your overhead percentage
    ( if overhead is already figured into your labor cost do not add it again)
    then add your desired percent profit.....

this is how to figure ANY job, and will work for anything you do.....
  6. GameDawg33

No offense taken, but I know all of my cost and time to do the job.I was just hoping for a rough estimate from the landscape pros on this site. A little help thats all. My drsired percent profit may not be inline with this job, either too high or too low! I can bid anything Lawn Maitenance no problem, residential to commercial, mowing line trimming, blowing etc. no problem. Landscaping not so sure yet. So a little advice and ideas, opinions from respected proffesionals in the bussines should be of valuable use.
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like my typical answer of based on Location.
  8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Since they are current customers do you have a grasp on what they may or may not accept price wise?
  9. GameDawg33

He's totally redoing the inside of the house. He decked out everthing with the best stuff. Doing the same to the outside. I mean he's loaded, but he still searches for a good price like he did on hiring the guys doing the remoldeling.
    I already did the cleanup on the property $1600 and this was to cheap as there turned out to be alot more work than originally thought and I wanted it to look really good. The guys pretty cool and really easy to talk too,also. See my ex partner bid on the cleanup, we started it then he didnt want to finish. I split up buss. with him opened my own company and went back and finished the job as promised. The owner of property knows this happened and likes and trust me.
  10. anthonyr

anthonyr LawnSite Member

Just make sure you know all your expenses like supplies, rentals, disposal fee, any sub-contractors or laborers, etc.... multiply by 1.8 to 2.0 . Make sure your charging at least 10 dollars more than what your paying your laborers- if you pay 10 an hour, charge 20-25 so your making profit off your guys. Good luck