A little help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by coxlandscaping, Oct 11, 2007.

1. coxlandscaping

coxlandscaping LawnSite Member

Hello all I’ve got a real problem and I’m not sure what may be going on I have a Zone of Hunter Pro Spray body’s with Rain Bird Van Sprays in a Landscape Bed I ran the zone several times to make sure all was working as it should the guys came in put the rock and pine straw down and I went back today to turn the system on in the plant beds and the things will not popup if you hold the stem up on one of them for a min all the heads will popup and you can here the pressure increase I’m not sure what may have happened to cause this as it was working fine the day before thanks for any help

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Rock + pipe = hairline crack or break that is backing up in fill & giving some
    pressure, tho not enough to activate the pops....cap all the heads..fire at will,
    you'll find the river. Another good reason for adult supervision.:hammerhead:

3. coxlandscaping

All the ditch’s were filled in before hand with dirt the rock were brown rock placed on landscape fabric do you still it’s a hairline crack in the pipe

4. Mike Leary

We've made "seal caps" for this occasion...epoxy, whatever..had Weather
    Matic supply us with blank nozzles for install & your problem. Short of digging
    up the heads & capping the swing joints...dialing down the flow screws on the nozzles
    mite find the problem.....flow control on the valve dialed down?

5. coxlandscaping

I can’t believe I’m going to haft to start digging around in that bed I know it’s the nature of the beast but with all the landscape done the customer is going to have a fit

6. Mike Leary

Yep..cap the heads..were you the general contractor?:hammerhead:

7. Mike Leary

Oh by the way...I'm sure you mite surmise..happened to me too!

8. coxlandscaping

No, we are over the irrigation, shrub, Hardscapes & sowing the lawn areas I talked with the contractor today about the problem he is not happy about it but he understands that things just happen

9. See any chance that something got turned off? I'd check the meter, irrigation shutoffs, flow control, and read the meter to confirm that digging and capping are the only options left.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Any other zones having pressure problems?

I'm not familiar with Rainbird VANs but every other type I've encountered can be closed down almost all the way which would give adequate pressure to pop up the entire zone. Course... I work with larger zones and even if a sprinkler is totally broken most of the remaining ones will still have enough pressure to pop up.

I'd start at the valve and make sure that the flow control (if it has one) is fully open and that the solenoid and diaphragm are properly working and that the valve is fully opening. If it's propely functioning and you have all the nozzles dialed down... start looking for water and a possible leak.