1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

a little help.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RedWingsDet, Apr 19, 2008.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

well, I hate it when people ask "what do I charge". However, I just want to make sure I am inline with this industry as I am in my 2nd year with irrigation work.

Heres what I have:

5 Zones.
    All mist heads, 30 heads (hunter).
    5 valves (hunter).
    1 vb (febco).
    1 clock (3 station, hunter pro c)
    1 expansion module (for hunter pro c)
    2 Valve boxes.
    400 ft of 1" line.
    Plus misc fittings, copper main, and wire, etc..

Now, for this install I am at about $3,500. It would take about 1 day if everything went smooth (no trees in sight = no roots; hopefully). Plus this includes pulling the pipe.

Does this sound about right as far as stations, and parts needed?
    I am confident that I am pricing it right in regards to parts, but i need a better grip on time it'll take.

I am sure you guys hate threads like this, however I know alot more about this type of work that most think (15yr vet. in irrigation has taught me alot in 3 years, lol). Thanks fellas!
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

a. heads shouldn't mist. whats the model, nozzle, etc?
    b. copper main? int eh ground, or just out of the house? sounds pricey, for you.
    c. 1 day for you or 1 day for a small army?

there is no way we could know if there were enough stations without knowing flow, pressure, size being irrigated, heads and nozzles used etc...

go with more...
  3. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

a.) hunter 4" mist heads with 10' - 12' halfs and qtrs.

b.) copper from the main to the vb only (inside only).

c.) 1 day with my crew of 3. (36 man hrs.)

The main is 1", pressure is amazing, nozzles are 10-12 halfs and qtr's.
  4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

"SPRAY" heads are fine, are they suitable for your soil conditions?

If your pressure is AMAZING, your SPRAY heads may MIST, something you dont want because thats losing water, lest you're cooling off the yard on purpose.

Time seems a bit short in my opinion, especially with copper work to be done in the house, pipe to pull in the yard, and everything else to be done. If anything, estimate high, and when you come up great on time, either pocket the greatness, or kick some back to the el customer.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think you could do it in a day if you had more hands on experience and 2-3 other guys that knew exactly how to hit the ground running.

I would bet the job will take you 3 days.

400ft of pipe for 5 zones? That sounds low... have you measured it off or graphed it out?

What about a backflow preventer?

How are you going to stuff 5 valves in one box?

I would do the POC a day ahead... I have had jobs where I wasn't prepared and it costs me time... running to the store getting the right connections. If it is copper check out the sharkbits... much easier than sweating.

$3500 sounds profitable... I would bid $2500 on a job like that and be the highest bidder in my area. I would guess materials would be $1000 for a project like that.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Dudes, back in the day, a popup spray head was called a mist head. More sales pitch than accurate, maybe, but common terminology.
  7. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

lawnworks, if you read my first post you will see I said a vb (which is a backflow preventer), I also said 2 valve boxes.

thanks guys
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of "vb"? RP or PVB or DCV? Could range from $60 - $200 depending on size and type. Using the wrong kind could either mean not meeting building codes and having a possible water contamination situation, or leaving about $100-$150 on the table. You would know better than us what kind is needed. Just wondering.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Pricing looks fair to me. One detail not mentioned is whether all the above-ground plumbing will be copper (type L, please) and brass.
  10. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

That price is really good for our area (for you). are you doing all 4'' sprays or are you doing some beds as well? That's a tiny job... you should have no problem doing it in a day.