A Little Help??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RyanCanMow, Jan 31, 2002.

1. RyanCanMow

RyanCanMow LawnSite Member

I have had an offer to intern with a LARGE construction company this summer. I am a Jr. in college and have a lawn maintenance business on the side (+/- 50 residential). I go home a lot to work on the weekends. I would LOVE to expand after I get my degree(construction mgt.) and do maintenance and landscaping for my only source of income. However, I know how secure a large company is and the benefits they offer, and there is a really good chance that if I intern this summer, I will be offered a job after graduation. The bad part is that I will have to give up my lawn biz if I intern this summer. BUT I love cutting grass!!
    I just need advice, thanks.:confused:

2. Live2ride

Live2ride LawnSite Member
    from iowa

tough call... and unfortunately only u can answer. What others would or wouldn't do doesn't mean its what is right for u.
    Is the const. internship something, that if u turn down ,will it hurt your chances of getting into that or another company later??
    Are your parents going to give you a hard time if u keep mowing and expand into landscape? (We spent all that money, u all that hard work to mow lawns??!!).
    Will U kick yourself in the butt if u don't give the const. managment a try?
    Are u a little leary of stepping into the unknown??
    Sorry not much help here. Good luck...

3. RyanCanMow

My parents are really supportive of me whatever road I choose. They want me to do what I love to do. My degree will help me considerably in lawn and landscaping because of the landscape and management classes I am taking. I also realize that if I choose not to intern, I won't really have a chance landing a job with this company. It's a VERY tough call. I just wonder how secure the lawn biz will be in the terms of supporting a family one day. I work hard for my money, and I'm not scared of hard work, but I just wonder which will be better in the long run, not only for me but for my future family as well. Thanks:confused:

4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I was in a similar boat that you are in now. A couple of years ago when I was at college all of the students in my class had to do a summer internship to graduate. I thought that it was going to suck giving up all that money. Luckily for me I had a guy that had worked for me for a couple of years and I gave him the responsibilities of the mowing and small small landscaping jobs. I would work for a couple hours on the sat. but that is it. I ended up making more money than the previous summer because I got paid pretty good for the internship. The experience was very valueable to me when it came time to find a job after school. Remember whey you are in school. If it is for your company than I wouldn't bother but if you plan on working for someone else take it! The economy is not that good and one needs as many connections as possible to make it in any field. With a degree in management you should do well $$$. You can always keep the biz on the side and get some workers. More headaches but lots of extra money in your pocket. It has been working for me for a couple of years.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Ryan,

Try out the internship. Sounds to me like you realize that they are really interested in you by offering you this internship. Also, they will probably realize that you're a hardworking individual and will be able to offer you a decent salary, regular hours, vacation, holiday, etc. Bottom line is if you want to raise a family, that you want to be able to spend time w/ this may be the way to go. Perhaps you could hire a quality person to run your business for you this ear until you are more sure. Besides, if you don't give this a try now, you may kick yourself in the a$$ someday as I often do for not taking an internship when I was in college. I was offered a nice job as a programmer for CSC after only my freshman year. If I would have stuck it out, by now I would have a nice 6figure salary w/nice perks and a lot more time to spend w/ my family. Finanacially, I'm doing more than fine, however, there is a good deal of stress, and I sometimes fell like a slave to the business.

Bob

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I got a degree in accounting and did 401(k) consulting work for a few years. But everyone said its a good company with benefits. Are you NUTS wanting to quit. YES!

Working for someone else is what most people are trained for. Ask the owner of that big company, if its better to own it or work for someone else?

Just something to think about.

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I graduated from college with a degree in computer programming and became a lawn care technician instead. Never regretted my decision. Be patient and good luck.

LAWNS AND MOWER

8. RyanCanMow

Thanks guys for the replies, please keep them coming! I have decided to apply for the internship(a good chance I will get it) and see what happens. I have a brother 18 (awesome dependable worker), who with one or two other guys will hopefully be able to take care of the bulk of the biz. I plan on personally visiting those "not so profitable" residentials whose yards are always a PAIN and telling them that I will unfortunately not be able to service them this year if I get the construction job. I want to be able to still offer quality service for the clients we keep in order that our company name remains in good standing while we rid ourselves of the junk accounts. I know that fewer accounts to concentrate on will help my brother service them better. How does this sound?
    Thanks,
    Ryan
    Murphy's Lawn Maintenance:D

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds much better. Good luck! :)

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Ryan,

I believe this to be your best move. You get your foot in the door w/ a large reputable contracting firm, where you will no doubt gain a great deal of knowledge, get a chance to see if its for you and of course see if you like working for others. Meanwhile, you still have your hand in the landscape biz, you get to see if your brother can make it work for you (hopefully it'll work well), which can only lead to one of the following: Senario A. You like construction and get full time job, where you give your brother added responsibilities but still get a cut of the biz revenue, or Senario B. You hate construction and you decide to keep your brother as a foreman and add a second crew and still reward him as he will continue to have his responsibilities increased.

Either way, KUDOS on "weeding out" the rubbish accounts. These jobs are better left for the scrubs in the industry!

Bob

P.S. Good luck oung man, but I believe you'll do fine as we can see you have great ambition, a good attitude and a good head on your shoulders.