1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A little help.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by polecat63, Feb 9, 2005.

1. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Hi all. I'm bidding on a rather large landscape job and need a little info. I've got the install part of the bid down, but need some help with the demo. There aren't a ton of plants to come out. Just a two 15' crepe myrtles, some canna, liriope, a handful of pittisporum and bayberry, and a hefty butterfly bush. But...
    There are about 14 cu yds of 3"-6" river rock that need to be removed and stored on site. About 10 yds will be reused on the new landscape. Also, the landscape architect is requiring that the plant beds be dug out 18" inches and the soil to be disposed of off site. (This comes to about 40 cu yds) And the planting areas to be filled with fresh planting mix.

If anyone has any info or formulas to help figure out labor it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I've never had to dispose of this much soil before. What are some good methods for doing this!! Thanks in advance for any help!! :help:
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If the river rock doesn't have fabric underneath it, you might as well forget about saving it. Especially if it's locally available stone at a reasonable price. I've taken up rock twice in the last year, one job had fabric (the stone was ~$145/ton, OUR price), the other didn't have fabric and the stone was about $10/ton.

If there's fabric down, it'll be much easier to take it up, mostly using rakes and shovels. We found that it was just as easy/fast to rake and shovel, rather than trying to use a tractor bucket to backdrag into piles. If there's no fabric down and the gravel is cheap, just dig it out and dispose of it too.

If the plants to be removed are in the areas that need to be excavated, just cut them down and dispose of them. When you excavate, you'll get most of the roots. Many places are looking for clean fill dirt, see if you can find one nearby.

With that much to excavate, I'd definately want a machine of some sort. Depending on access and the sizes of the beds, I'd use either a skidsteer or a mini-ex. Also a machine to put the planting mix back in.

Without seeing the site, I have no idea how much time it would take to do any/all of this.

3. polecat63

There is fabric under the river rock and it runs about $120 ton MY price here. Worth saving, plus I'll have a few tons left that I happen to need on another job. Figured that would be done by hand.

The entire site is accessible by machine. It's about a 20'-25' wide stretch across the front of two homes broken up by two driveways. No fences or houses to deal with and was planning to use a skidsteer to excavate the site. The plants will most likely just come up with the excavated dirt. The only hitch is the gas main that runs through the entire site so that area will have to be dug out by hand, 18" on either side of the mark..

Also, any experience with disposing of leftover dirt. Don't have a dump truck and even if I did I don't want to take twenty trios to the landfill. I was thinking of a roll off, but if I go too far over the weight limit the fees can get rather hefty. What does a yard of soil weigh, on average. The house is half a block off the ocean and the soil is rather sandy. One of the reasons the last landscape failed and the reason the LA wants it removed. Thanks again!!!!!!
  4. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

sub an excavator to do the dirt removal you can pile it for him. i use roll offs ,20 yarders but they fill up quickly. wish i could get my hands on those mature crape myrtles, they'd cost me 300 each. funny though, around here river rock is like 35 a ton.
  5. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

You have any pictures of the site to see what you are dealing with?

That would help us out to be able to help you out.

I would check with a local excavator, possibly one that has a couple dump trucks. See what they would charge to haul out.

We have to dump trucks to haul soil out, but when there is too much to haul for 2 dump trucks, we have an excavator that we are pretty close with that has 8 dump trucks that can help us out. Usually we just have to pay for the dump trucks to haul it away. They then have a huge dump site that they take everything to. Don't charge us to dispose of it. They usually use it and turn around and sell it to someone else.

Also see if any builders need fill for any of there sites? Possibly sell it them if the fill is clean and useable.
  6. polecat63

I just remebered I have some pics. I'll post them when I get a chance.
  7. polecat63

First of a dew pics...

8. polecat63

And another pic.............................

9. polecat63

And another pic................

10. polecat63

And one more................