1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Little Lawn Humor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Sep 26, 2007.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

An older lady moved in next door. I noticed she had a Honda walk-behind mower with self-propel. She mows her own yard. I noticed that the mower seemed to really be running at low rpms. I didn't want to be a bossy neighbor, so I didn't say anything. After about four or five mowings I thought I knew her well enough to make a suggestion. I told her it sounded to me like she wasn't running the throttle high enough. I told her that air cooled engines should be run at full throttle. She looked at me and said, "but I can't walk fast enough to keep up with the mower if I run the throttle up." I looked and she had her three speed self-propel set on 3 (the highest setting). I'm sure it came this way from the dealer several years previously. I switched it to no. 1 and revved the engine to full throttle. She tried it and said wow that is great.

Another recent thing on a walker mower. My fellow worker bought a walker mower. He is spending a lot of time getting familiar with its maintenance and operation, so he will know what to do. He said he couldn't figure out how to check the oil on the deck T-box since the the drain was in the bottom of the front plate. I looked at him and said tilt the deck to the 90 degree position. He looked at me and said DUH!

Anyone else had some funny things happen.
  2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Not a customer, but our oldest daughter called the other day and said she didn't know what she was going to do, because the Weedeater trimmer she has uses the "blue" line, and she hadn't been able to find any "blue" line anywhere! :) :) :)
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Is she blonde?

But jokes aside, you do know certain colors within a mfg's products indicate thickness and type of line, right? Yeah, so for example a dark green line is round .080 while orange is round .095 and a yellow line is square .095 further on a grey line is this funky hex diamond stuff, so the color thing would appear to have to do with what kind of line you need... Except it tends to vary from one manufacturer to the next so there is no standard, but there is something to it, hence your daughter isn't as dumb as she might've made herself look.

The real reason I lol'd is because I did the same thing a few years back, looking for orange line :laugh:
  4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Topsites, she was talking to her Mom on the phone the other day, and I had her ask what size the line was, and explained it didn't have to be blue. She didn't have a clue as to what the diameter was, but just really liked that "little blue line". :)