A Little Leaf Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJS, Nov 1, 2007.

1. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

So, I have a few lawns that require more than the usual mowing in the fall; several accounts that have many large, mature trees = lots of leaves. So I have been adding $10 to my normal price (Minimum $25) for bagging, and $15 extra for hauling leaves away on a weekly basis. . . Is that reasonable, cheap, outrageous, what? I just need to get a feel for what some other lco's are charging. . .

Thnx :weightlifter:

2. rootslawnservice

rootslawnservice LawnSite Member

Cheap!!! You can not make in this business with prices like that.

3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you blowing out beds?

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds a bit low, but unless you're so swamped with work that you can't see straight I would advise against a price raise at this time.

This is it man, 2007's home stretch, couple more months for most of us, unless you feel like playing roulette, you can try and ask for 5 extra here and there, but either be happy with what you got or take a chance at losing some customers, is what I'm saying.

I can't tell you what to do, if you're strapped for cash then dealing out loss leaders might hurt worse, but so would losing customers. Way I see things, it is likely most of these will be your next year's customers, if you feel your prices are a bit low then NOW would be a good time to start asking customers if they would be interested in your services for next year, that's as good a trade there because they're likely to be receptive to that idea.

Somewhere therein likely lies your answer, or maybe not, but 2-3 more months and it's over, unless you're in Florida...
    So, unless you're taking an awful beating it's just as easy to ride it out with what you got.

5. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I hate to make topsites think im trying to kiss his a$$ almost everytime he post's BUT. this is the best advise your gonna get.:laugh:

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

For regular customers under contract we charge just about the same as you indicate only we mulch the leaves. We build in more cuts through the winter to keep ahead of leaves. Our season goes from Sept to March on leaves so we can't allow them to sit until spring and customers don't want that anyway. We tried the one time clean up thing and it doesn't work well in our area to much competition.

7. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I am swamped with work right now, and I am making plenty of $$$ at this rate (imagine doing this all day)

This is only for lawns; I blow out the gardens once in December, when all the leaves are pretty much down. I would charge WAY more if I had to blow out flower beds every time. . . Oh, and there is a lot of competition: I have already lost two accounts to one solo-op who frequently undercuts me. grr.

8. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

that's way way way way too cheap

9. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

there's nothing wrong with trying to get some extra money, but if you have a contract with these people you might not want to charge them unless it's in the contract. If not like topsites said you may end up losing them for next season.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

In general, we clean out beds on every visit. I do not want to wait until the end of the season because by that time, the leaves will have been rained on multiple times. Obviously, they get wet and get more tightly packed on the mulch, under shrubs, etc. Also, the wind may have blown them around, packing them where they are more difficult to remove.

No, I don't charge WAY more, the time is just rolled into what the "leaf control" charge for the visit. I charge on a "per task" basis, so the charge varies from visit to visit. The charge depends on the time required to get the job done. Nobody complains about this system.