A little mechanic help please! :)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mtnflyguy, Sep 29, 2010.

1. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

yup, but focus the heat on the pully not the shaft.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Hitting the center of the pulley with a dead blow hammer will do less damage than a puller.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. mtnflyguy

mtnflyguy LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! I got the job done. I ended up using a tool used to separate a ball joint. It looks like a wedge but it has a slot in the middle that was big enough to go around the shaft. Was able to save the pulleys and get it all back together. Thanks again for the help! Have a great day!!

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Is this what you used?

[​IMG]

5. cgaengineer

I'm pretty sure by his description it was a tie rod/ball joint separator like the one in your picture...lucky he didn't bust the aluminum behind the pulley.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

If he used this tool it tells me the pulley had loosened by soaking with PB Blaster considerably. This tool is not designed for removing a frozen pulley from its shaft, not enough of the correct pressure can be applied.

7. cgaengineer

I wouldn't say that..it would have pushed directly on the pulley. The power of a wedge is quite a bit...I'm not arguing with you, I'm sure PB helped. My experience with PB blaster and rust has not been very good, I have found that a touch of heat and some impact generally frees things up...or breaks them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. mtnflyguy

mtnflyguy LawnSite Member

Well to settle the dispute I used all of the above! :) I used that tool and I had soaked it for three days in PB Blaster (Which I have had pretty good success with in the past, not always but most of the time.) I also tried some heat and some good blows. All and all it was stuck pretty well! I used the wedge to drive it in there ever so slowly. Once I got it to "pop" the rust. I could work it off. Then I took some emery cloth the the inside of the pulley and the shaft. They went back together smooth as can be and from what I can see I still have the same balance in the pulley as I did before.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Now on to the next mower! hahahaha Knocking that seems to be coming from the hydraulic pump? Have a good one!

9. cgaengineer

If its rusted when you removed clean up and apply anti-seize to the part that was rusted...you will thank me next time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

greatest stuff in the world!!!!

+1