A Little scared about this Year!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greatdane522003, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Greatdane522003

Greatdane522003 LawnSite Member

Is anyone else wondering how this year mite go, I have a couple of customers that lost there Job, whating to know if I'll do their lawn bi-weekly All I know Is that I need to have Balls to the Wall Advertizing here in about 2 weeks, Is anyone else facing this issue:cry:
  2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Not so much that but more and more people are jumping into lawn care in my area that under cutting is getting bad, people are no longer loyal (to a point) and if you try to work off others, being a sub for landscape jobs etc - there keeping everything they have so far.
  3. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

I am not realy scared for this year but definitly for the next 3 years...Im sticking to advertise with the more wealthy people just because i find that even if there spread thin they still dont want to mow there lawn....
    Hey i noticed your name is greatdane....do you have a great dane...how do you like it...what size and model is it...how many hours is it running and have you had any problems so far with it....I ask because ive got a super surfer that had the hydro motor go out at 40 hrs...wondering if ill run into any more problems
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

With the stock markett falling " almost daily" some do...

However most people know that you will loose money here and there But it all comes back....

Not sure how old a lot of you are. But I have seen Questions like this posted here before.

Most of us have lived and survived through rougher times than what the media is talking.

Of Corse NOW I live in Houston...." the burbs of "

here we have a TON OF OIL money........

I see almost daily. people in my area throwing a way BIG money left and right....

funny thing about around here.... land is 57,000.00 an acer....

Were living large

Good luck
  5. Greatdane522003

Greatdane522003 LawnSite Member

I use to have Greatdane mowers a while ago, Sold them! And started buying Wright's For right now I will not used anything else
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

No fears. Just plow ahead.
  7. TheTurfTender

TheTurfTender LawnSite Member
    from Mn

Shoot. Didn't you guys here about the Bush Plan? He's giving every married couple $1200 to keep their lawns green this year!!!!!!!!!!!

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Not really scared here, but definitely nervous. (This story is a little long, but it has a happy ending):usflag:

I've lost a few accounts already this year, but I always plan for a few. I actually picked up a few at the end of last season when their previous company either went out of business or just quit showing up.

The economy and the drought we're in is still in effect. If we don't see major rain for the next 3 months, it's gonna be as bad as it was last year.

I am sending out direct mail flyers within the next two weeks to some targeted areas and hope to gain what I can.

I know of several LCO's that have went out of business since last year. BUT, I have seen SEVERAL new "fly by night" operations in my area. Most are hispanics with only push mowers (not commercial) and very cheap handhelds. This exact crew went to one of my customers in my neighborhood last fall. My customer called me and told me to get to his house. When I arrived there was an old Ford Ranger that looked very, very bad. Actually had a hand written sign on some cardboard ductaped to the doors of the truck. There was four of them. When I got there my customer said they knocked on his door and said "We mow grass, we mow yours" When he asked if they were with ******* (me), they said "si". He said you are a part of Premier Lawn Care? Their reply was "Oh yess, si Premier Lawn Care" He knew they weren't and called me.

I walked up to what appeared to be the "crew leader" and asked him what he was doing at my account? He mushed some English out and said "No Hablo Engles". I said while pointing at the lawn "My job, not yours...now vamanos!! They all laughed. They told my customer "we do it for $20....everything" I laughed because that is 40% of what I charge. I just looked at the customer and I said I'm not gonna get caught up in this, but you know I don't lower my price. I told him he's more than welcome to let these illegals do it if he's wants to try it. He said no to them.

This is when it really get's weird. All four of them got incredibly angry at he and I. I told my customer to go into the house and I'd handle it. I reached into my truck and pulled my Glock .40 into the seat and grabbed my vollie FD radio. I called for Sheriff Deputy to respond for a disturbance. When they saw me on my radio they started slinging stuff into their truck. Fortunately, a good friend of mine is a deputy and lives in my sub also. He was at home eating lunch and was there within a minute.

Turns out all four were illegal, and one was wanted for robbery. All four were taken in, but the other three illegals were let go.
  9. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice work. Im worried about everyone calling to let me know they are outting the house up for sale. Ive had no less than ten this past month!! They all said they are moving out of state for better job opp. WT:hammerhead:
  10. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe you, but one thing, I cant figure out, is how they do it.
    However, getting up the money to do lawn service is no easy task, equipment is costly....
    No matter how many lawn services there are, there's always more grass than we can handle ...