A Little Stressed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gce_ent, Mar 16, 2006.

1. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

OK I am just going to ask it even though I belong to other types of boards and hammer those who ask these types of questions... I was certain to have a good setup but since joining this site I am not so certain anymore.

What should I set a two man crew up with as far as equipment goes. I believe I have the blower, edger, and trimmer down but the mower I am just not certain. I think my dealer is just trying to sell me what he wants rather than what is good for my needs. I have the funds to do it right the first time but I do not know what right is all of the sudden.

Tomorrow I was to pickup my equipment but now I am rethinking my marketing plans, my crew size and now my equipment.

Where I was so certain now I am getting confused from all of the great input on this site. Probably a good thing.

2. 24ON48OFF

24ON48OFF LawnSite Member

What is your market for the 2 man crew, and what kind of equip. are you trying to buy.

3. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Completely residential and I hpoe to land a very large number of accounts. My goal is to have two, two man, crews running a min of 30 yards a day each. I have read about the "mow and go" types but I like to think I will be doing a better job than some of the desciptions that were given to those type companies.

I have been eyeballing eXmark equipment for the mower and then Echo equipment for the blower etc... but in actuallity I do not care it was just the closest dealer.

4. 24ON48OFF

24ON48OFF LawnSite Member

for that crew a 36" WB, and a 21" would be what I would use. 2 Trimmers and 2 blowers and let'em get after it. A 36" because it fits in most gates. What part of Texas are you in?

5. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Dallas area. Thanks for the input. Eventually I will land on something and I wont be able to find it anywhere... and I just hope my crew will know how to operate it.

6. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i would say this....

...crew one...
    small trcuk(s10, ranger, dokota)
    5x10 trailer
    48'' metro wb or 50'' lazer z ztr
    21'' push mower
    2 echo trimmers (i just picked up the srm260 and like it)
    1 blower (doesnt matter hand held or backpack)
    throw shovel, broom, rake, etc. in the bck

...crew two...
    3/4 ton trcuk (2500 or 250)(go 4x4 with this)
    6x12 trailer
    56'' lazer z
    32'' metro
    2 trimmers
    1 blower
    rack, shovel, etc

some may not agree, but this is what i think would work...run the smaller truck with the smaller yards...bigger truck with the bigger yards or gates...the 3/4 truck will come in handy when u want to do mulch jobs etc. and u can have all four guys there bring wheel barowl shovel in the smaller trcuk and u cld get two yards of mulch in the big truck also bring the smaller trailer to put weeds and junk in...i run a small truck nd small trialer with sides one man crew set up just for me...30 yards a day is doable...i was doing 15 last summer and going to school every day till 11:00 so it is doable...good luck with it all

7. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know the dallas area at all, but here is what I would suggest without knowing too much.

60" mid mount rider
    48" w/b or if funds allow a 52" and a 32 or 36"
    21" push mower

IMO you should stay away from Echo power equipment. It will work in the beginning, but its more home owner grade than commercial.

If you aren't doing any large yards I'd say a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick-up with a 36" and a 48" w/b with velkes, 2 trimmers, 2 blowers, gas cans, etc. In and out fast, just not gonna be able to bang out HUGE yards with that set-up. But you sure as heck will get a lot of small ones done.

8. ADVANCED LAWNCARE LLC.

ADVANCED LAWNCARE LLC. LawnSite Member

If i were you i would get a 36 walkbehind, and then i would get a 52 wright stander. The 36 should fit through most if not all gates. I say this because i have a 36 encore and havent had a problem yet. Then the 52 is a perfect mower for the rest of the yard. They are very versatile, and not to big for a residential yard. Just my opinion.

9. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

6x12 trailer
    48'' metro wb - try finding one used
    21'' push mower - honda if possible
    2 stihl trimmers - one that is just a trimmer and the other that can interchange to a trimmer, hedge cutters and edger. Use it for the edging mostly.
    1 blower - the $299.99 model.
    throw shovel, broom, rake, etc. in the bck

10. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Well here's my opinion for the small crew go with a 36" and a few push mowers the bigger crew maybe go with a 52" ztr or walk behind fyi don't use echo its on the cheaper end of commercial equipment go with a higher quality stihl or redmax you wont' have to worry about breakdowns. If you want to go with a high quality push mower I recommend the commercial snapper hi vac's by far the best push mower's ive ever used. puts honda and lawnboy to shame.:hammerhead: