1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

A Little Trenching

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ZX12R, Jul 30, 2011.

1. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question for you guys.In one of the pics you can see a fence.Well next season,I plan on landscaping that area and an area to the left that is out of the picture.I am pretty sure 5 spray heads will cover the area but there is an outside chance that I will need 6. I will be using Toro 570 sprays.

Now in all my other beds,I have the Toro 570's with 5 spray heads per zone and they work great.I tried 6 and while they still work,performance suffered .Less water was spraying and some of the 12" popups only came up half way.

Sooo,here is what I did in that trench along the fence in preperation for the 5 sprays and possibly 6. Instead of a 3/4" lateral,I ran a 1" lateral which will be used for the sprays on that zone. Do you think that the 1" lateral will help to support the 6 spray heads much better than a 3/4" lateral?

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

A larger pipe gives less friction loss. So in a way, yes.

However it means nothing with out knowing your static and dynamic psi along with your flow rate.

6 spray heads and not being able to fully pop up tells me either 2 things

The pressure and water volume is not enough to supply what the sprinkler heads are asking for

or

bad design

3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Try some toro precision spray nozzles. I think the 12' half only uses something like .79 gpm.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Greenmonster,I will check them out.

5. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen the blue flex down here, never really paid attention to it because it looked flimsy.

Probably a stupid question; is it rated for inground?

Down here I have to use SCD 80 for anything over 24V and bury to 36".

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto. These have been working GREAT for us this year when we have been redesigning systems or if the system is stretched on gpm or low pressure.

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Last week we converted an obsolete zone in an over grown area to a spray zone between the road and privet. We were able to put 17 12' halfs on a 16 gpm supply. They are handy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

you can plow pvc no problem , been doing it for 25 years , from 3/4 inch to 1.5 inch .

9. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

It's not easy.
    I have to quit drinking coffee and really moderate my alcohol consumption to keep from getting too dehydrated.
    Plus I gotta take vitamin supplements to keep from getting severe muscle cramps.
    The heat index values here typically haven't gotten above 106, which is barely tolerable. I've dealt with a heat index of 121 before and was hardly able to get anything done.

On the bright side it'll be in the 60's in a few months and we'll all be wearing our winter sweaters. :laugh:

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

may all your PVBs under warranty freeze and break this winter :mad: