1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

A loaner policy that makes sense to me.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by mountainjogger, Aug 22, 2013.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I guess my experiene with dealerships has gotten better over the years. The Exmark dealer I used to work with was always a week behind on repairs and rarely had parts in stock. I now use one closer to me that has much better turn around time. My Scag/Stihl dealer normally has next day repairs and I will give the service writer a list of parts that it needs to confirm they are on the self or can be quickly ordered. So this is why I don't really care for a "loaner" and don't see the value in it. I'm not wealthy or have some large mowing business, I just plan for the bad stuff.

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Having a dealer with a loaner is essential. My dealer will provide me with a loaner and also cut me to the front of the service line. Gravely also offers the GAP program where Gravely supplies a factory loaner so we are covered either way.

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/more/Pages/gravely-assurance-program.aspx

3. GMLC

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

5. GMLC

LOL...GAP program is suppose to be a comparable machine from Gravely.

6. JCLawn and more

from MI

I know what your saying, but I am quite serious lol they might say, its comparable, its got an engine, 4 wheels, and it says commercial......

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

They are like that up around here too. Must be a Michigan thing:laugh:

8. JCLawn and more

from MI

I had to drive a hour away just to rent a mower that wasn't a 48 inch residental ztr when my old mower took a dump. And that was a 60inch encore barly comercal ztr. And that was the gravely dealer who refused to sell me a diesel. Hey was that the dealer near camden MI too? Lol

9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I think this dealer is trying to be fair and reasonable. I am sure even dealers that are liberal with loaners do not have an unlimited supply of loaner mowers.

If it takes 3 days to get a mower back an LCO can be 24 lawns behind.

A home owner has one lawn. Even if that lawn had to go 2 weeks he would get by.

Though as another poster said a Landscaper should have his own back up mowers.

Problem is LCO's will run their mowers until they die. Or trade them in when the buy a new one.

10. JCLawn and more

from MI

God forbid your back up being down like mine is right now.