A long armed leaf loader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GroundKprs, Nov 14, 2002.

1. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Finally filled up my trailer all the way today. Modified a leaf loader to be able to reach 10' in from pavement. See whole story at <a href="http://hometown.aol.com/groundkprs/leafvac.html">Leaf & Debris Loader</a>.

leaf pile & truck.jpg

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

What size is your dump trailer, looks like a good setup, thanks

3. GroundKprs

Dump body is actually Hi-Way Equipment pickup dump insert. I had it built on a very long tongued trailer, so I could install equipment cage on the tongue. Of course, need a weight distributing hitch, so truck doesn't drag in back.

The metal dump body holds a little over 2 cu yd, my regular 2' extenxion adds another 3 yd, and the leaf extension gives another 6 yds, for a total of 11+ cu yd. At an average 6:1 compaction rate, I can vacuum up 60-70 cu yd of loose leaves before dumping.

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

interesting thanks.

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

very impressive setup, what was the cost on the leaf box?

6. GroundKprs

Whole project, including a welder to modify the vac mount, was about $425. Used Lowe's Top Choice treated lumber; that was pricey, but they are straight and have only a few small knots. No nailing, everything is bolted with locknuts or screwed. I like my projects to last a while.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely well done. If you don't me asking, where did you get that yellow hose? What is it, exactly, and what size is that? Did it just come with the loader? Thanks. Oh, I like the way that page was set up, also.;)

8. GroundKprs

Yellow intake hose came with unit. It is 10" diameter. Exhaust tube is flexible metal, 8" diameter. Here is their web page on truck loaders: http://www.trac-vac.com/2000,2100.htm . In the full side view of the 2116, you can see the rock trap - extension under intake tube just after hose ends. Rocks are rolling along bottom of tube, and fall into rock pot instead of crashing into impeller. Impeller appears ½" thick metal, and impeller housing comes with a replaceable liner so housing doesn't take all the wear. You can see in their pic how the hose is pulled up to the support arm - I changed that after first job - it was stiff to work with.

Most of the hitch mount, tailgate mounts, and swingaways from different mfrs come with a 10' hose, but once you bend the hose pointing backward from the middle of your truck or trailer, you're lucky to have a 4'-5' reach from the pavement. Other guys have said you spend more time with a rake, pulling leaves to the intake, than you do in actually vacuuming. That's why I wanted the side facing intake. As long as my leaves are within 8' of pavement, I don't touch a rake. And if I ever have a one-way street, I'll just drive wrong way, LOL.

I got the hitch mount, and my buddy cut off the gas tank mounting part of the frame, added reinforcement at that end and under engine mounting holes. Needed the reduced width to get it into my cage. Just mounted tank on side of cage. BTW, 5 gal tank, and used less than a gal to fill 11 yd trailer.

Now I'm dreaming of a small vac in the back yard, attached to a long hose running to the leaf loader. Instead of having to blow or haul leaves to the front, just set up your extra vac and hose and feed them right into the truck out front. Would need a good shredding vac a start so long hose doesn't get plugged. Remember, all blower/vacs are better at blowing than they are at vacuuming.

Only problem I anticipate with my setup is the 2' of flex hose going into the trailer. That will not last long - curve will wear through quickly. Got another piece in case it fails soon. Will fix that this winter.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Runner, J Thomas sells that hose and they are not too far from you . They also ship. I picked mine up there last year, I also get Walker blades there.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That is an awesome setup. Wish I had something like that. Maybe in a few more years...LOL. Looks great! :cool: