A lot of customers did not receive their bill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Jun 10, 2005.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It's the same every month, 10 days and we have 98% of our payments in to us. I mailed out Mays invoices on June 1st. By June 4th, hardly any payments were rolling in. I said to Matt, "I think something is wrong, I'm wondering if people got their bills." He says, "You worry too much". I said, "ok, whatever, but I'm telling ya, the same people pay the day after getting their bill, this month is different." He comes home on Saturday and says, "Mrs. Smith says she was surprised she didn't get her bill yet." I said, "see? something happened with some of the bills, they aren't getting to the customer."
    Today, I come home, and there is only one payment in the mailbox.. Btw, almost everyone would have paid by now, we still have 40+ payments still owed.
    The customer wrote a note:
    Dear Matt and Jodi:
    I have been out of town for 2 weeks. I just got back last night. After going thru my mail, I discovered that I did not have a bill from you for the weeks of May. I am sending a check in the amount of $265.00 for the 5 weeks. I believe I have calculated this correctly. If not, please let me know. Thanks a lot.
    So now what? Do I re-bill the customers that haven't paid when I know that each month they normally do by now.... or just wait till next month. I'm pretty mad about this, I don't see how some of the envelopes I mailed out could have been lost like that.
    I'm leaning towards just carrying over the balances until next month, these are all good customers, not deadbeats.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

More and more I'm finding the USPS is screwing up.

Used to be NEVER.

Now it seems as if twice a year one or two don't make it. And I know the customer isn't making it up. They are usually the type to pay the day they get it.

I just wonder where they go? My return address is on them.

And, yes I'm mailing them from inside the post office in the "LOCAL" slot.

On a side note (But related to this topic).

I live on (gonna change the street and house number for safety) 45 E. 4th Ave in Anytown, PA 19xxx

The post office for 19xxx is located in the sister town to Anytown PA (lets call it Anyville). The Anyville post office is on E. 4th Ave (same street as mine, just different town). Right next door to the Anyville post office is a house which is ALSO 45 E. 4th Ave!!! (Same address, same zip, different town less than 1 mile away)!!!!

I am constantly getting THEIR mail, they are constantly getting MY mail.

Postmaster says....."simple....use ZIP+4"......well, he was unable to tell me what my ZIP+4 should be, as both addresses, in two different towns both have not one, but TWO different possibilities!!!

Email, after email. Visit after visit. It's still up to my individual postman to visually verify each address. We are the ONLY duplicate address in the two towns (both have E. and W. Avenues from 1st through 9th!

It just irks me, as the post office is directly next door to my duplicate!

Sorry to rant

3. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I always walk inside the post office to drop off outgoing mail. I never put it in the boxes out back behind the post office where you can drive up and drop them off. I also dont use boxes at stores and such either. I have not had any problems this year but did have a couple last year and they were also the type of people that pay the next day so I know they were not blowing smoke.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'd rebill them, it's your money not theirs,you've already earned it.
    If you let it go till next month some may not be happy with having to pay double their normal bill.

5. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to the postmaster about your problem. I already know what he will tell you. There is no problem with the mail. I know I have been there.

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Jodi,
    Do you think it's possible that when your bills got sorted at the USPS they got put in a huge pile with other mail and maybe a FNG (f-ing new guy) rolled that huge pile on to a plane bound for antartica by mistake. I think I would call the post office and demand to know why your mail did not go through. I have had the same thing happen to me and they said that my bills got loaded on the wrong truck or something and took a little ride around the country. They eventually got to where they needed to go. It just took a bit longer. Give it some time.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

All ferris,
    Thanks, I guess I'll wait a bit to see what happens.
    dvm, Will you be so kind as to send me some stamps so I can re-bill them? I'm guessing around 45 didn't get their bills yet, and an additional $16.65 in postage might just break the bank. ;)

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

No problem Jodi,
    The $16.65 is in the mail................Maybe it'll get there.....................

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(I must be tired)

10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

don't forget - it is now refered to as "snail mail"