A message on my machine today! (Funny)

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ChadA, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Today I was doing some work for this lady my wife works with. Nothing major, just a bed clean up and a few other small jobs. I already have on one on that street so my wife said she would hand out some flyers while I worked. Well she did and when we got home there was a message on my machine that went like this.
    " I don't know whoooo you think you are, advertising on my street with these prices. $30 a cut is waaaaaaay to high when we have guys offering to do it for $15 a cut. Maybe when you get more competitive you can come back and try again with your silly little flyer."
    I almost died laughing. My wife wanted me to call him back a cuss him out. I thought it was hillarious. I'm keeping that one. Anyone else ever get any good messages like this.
    Whats funny is I signed up two people on that street today and my wife only handed out 45 flyers.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Shame on you for not keeping with the market rates. Don't you know we only do this for beer money.

Aren't people funny, you sure can't please them all and you certainly won't get them all. Not that you would want a turd like that. Sounds like you have a bottom feeder in the neighborhood but eventually he will be gone like all the others. Problem is that there will always be another goof that will mow at a loss and think he is making money and there will always be that idiot on your phone who is looking for the lowest price regardless.

Thanks for the laugh, there are goofy people everywhere.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I seriously would not get off my couch for 15 bucks...period

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I wouldnt either but I have been told and read on here before the Fla yards go on average for 15 to 20$ per cut. I wouldnt even get off the sofa for 30$

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd get off the couch for $30, but the ramp on the trailer doesn't come down until it's $50.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

over and over, i have some VERY small yards that take 10 min with trimming , 30.00 bam, and another, and another.... kind of depends on what you are looking at doesnt it.....makes more money then my acre and a half yard at 60.00......

save that message, that is really funny,...

i can hear an old mans voice (they will cut it for 15.00 blah blah)

7. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

I got one the other day from some old lady, dont have a clue as to who she was, didnt leave a ph# or anything. She said in a frantic voice..Scaper... this is winny.. please come over here as soon as you can, we have found a shingle in our front yard that has blown down from someones house... please come and find out where it came from and get that back to them. WTF?? Lol!

8. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I always find it funny when people throw flyers on my door or in my mailbox when my truck is there all lettered up and my equipment is always around, I just laugh and say what do they think I am too busy to do my own that I would pay them. Cheesy flyers too, makes me feel better about my company!

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitely keep that one. He must really have nothing to do except call you to ***** about a flyer. I've gotten some funny calls over the years, and when I get together for beers with my group of friends in the business, we always have some laughs and tell stories about customers :D

10. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

Went out to give an estimate today. Lady lived in a low income subdivision. She said she could get me 5 or 6 more lawns. I told her 30.00 was the lowest I could go for about a half acre to mow. She said some kid mowed last year for 15.00 for each of the yards around there. I told her ther was no way I could do it for that. I couldn't drive out there for 15.00.