a Month between Cuts???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kutnkru, Oct 21, 2003.

1. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I was just curious what you folks who have monthly contracts do when the weather does not keep the grasses growing?

Here in CFL I have contracts that stipulate 40 cuts per season. For those of you who have clients on monthly payment plans I am wondering what you do if you aren’t able to cut for extended periods of time due to adverse/colder weather conditions?

I had originally set clients up for bi-wkly cuts from mid-Nov thru late Feb, with the weather turning cooler and a colder winter predicted its looking as though certain accts wont be in need of service but every 3rd-4th week at the earliest and some might even be able to go over a month between cuts. Im looking for ways to balance the budget so clients don’t feel Ive taken advantage of them … especially since this is our first season doing biz together and relations are still in the infancy stages.

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I show up every other week from Nov thru March. If there's nothing to cut turn the blades on and suck up a few leaves and twigs. Freshen up the mulch with a rake. If push comes to shove, you can always offer to clean out the gutters. What are you supposed to do, go on welfare for the winter? I been doing this for 14 years and have never had a customer complain that they were not getting their moneys worth. You are under contract, so make sure you show up and do something so that they know you were there.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

The best way to explain it is that 3 summer months they get 5 cuts n 2 winter months will get 3 .... for us it's 42 visits

I do have the "per cut" price on our proposals which is then multipled by 42 and divided by 12 for the monthly price

If they ever tell us to skip it .... the mothly price is still the same .... this is resi only .... all full service n commercial just get a monthly rate

4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

The first 2 winters I would show up every other week, and not even mow some accounts, for a month. Last year it seemed like it was allways raining on the weekend, I ended up only skipping some accounts 3-4 times the whole year, and I had to mow almost every week. I think this year will be the same. It was over 90% today, The leaves havent even thought about changing color! And it hasnt rained since early spring. We are usally starting to deal with leaves by holloween, It isnt going to happen this year.
    To answer your question, If I dont have to mow much, I use the time to get the rest of the yard in nice shape.

5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a little slow. Where is CFL?

6. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

I think he means central florida. And if I'm not mistaken he's in the Melbourne, Palm Bay area.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't know he moved!

January and Feb mine get one visit....pay the same. 2 in Nov.-Dec.- March-3 the rest of the time unless they are watered and fertilized by the spray company.

We do something every month and have had no complaints.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Yes Homey Erics right ...
    Im servicing a small portion of South Brevard County (Palm Bay-Melbourne-SunTree). Good news is 2 days a week I get to run beachside from Toroise Island to Floridana Beach!!!

Even better news is looks like I'll have the time to get back up north to enjoy sledding from Georgetown to Canada -LOL!!!

Thanks for the re-assurance that Im not too far off the beaten path and therefore should not be hindering relations. :D

9. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Dont put a number of cuts on your contract. State it as weekly lawn maintenance. Like the others have stated you are under contract. At least show up and do something. I have never come across a yard that doesnt need something done weekly.