A more comfortably sulky?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Aug 13, 2003.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I've demoed standers and riders, and I'm going to need to stick with my ExM Turf Tracer 48.

Now I just want to make the sulky more comfortable. I presently have the Velke X2. I have used the Proslide (have 2 of em), the Proslide is VERY comfortable, but I need something I can ride all the time -- lots of concrete to traverse on my small properties.

I want something more comfortable -- I'm thinking larger tires would smooth out the ride, as would having a castering type sulky (the X2 wiggles a lot).

Is is possible to add larger tires to the Velke X2? Or should I replace it with another sulky?

Folding the sulky up is EXTREMELY important -- I need to fit all my equipment on an 8' truck bed.

Right now, the Toro Tru Track looks the best to me. I can't believe I'm looking at a Toro product, but it looks good.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I just got the Jungle Jim's Jungle Wheels for $249.00, two wheeled, very comfortable, easy to back up, etc.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The Only Problem With The Jungle wheels Is The Foot Platform Wears Out Very Fast But Its A Great Sulky. Easy To Put Up For When Its In Your truck.
    John

4. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Switchless posted something about sulky, awhile back. I believe he went with bigger tires.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

OK, here's what you need to do. First, you can use larger tires. Next, as I've posted the velky does exactly what you say (wiggles). To fix the problem, cut the bar that attaches to the velky itself and add a 3" extension to it. Last, you can buy industrial machinery padding, which is about 1.5 " thick and has a compression rate of 3 to 5 lbs per square inch. This means that you can stand on it and actually see your feet sink into it. This adds greatly to reducing the vibrations from the velky.

velky mat.jpg

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Switchless, do you still have enough room on that foot platform? I would like to modify my Bullrider with different tires, but I don't think I could afford to lose that much space on the platform. Have any other pics?

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

how long have you had the Velke x2, because you say that it wiggles alot.

Check the inserts to make sure that are not worn out. I had to do that with a couple of mean. They got worn out which causes it to be very sloppy when riding.

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

how long have you had the Velke x2, because you say that it wiggles alot.

I've just had the X2 since Spring, and it's always wiggled. Just the nature of the sulky it seems. Seems like a castered sulky would not wiggle, just ride straight.

Question -- can the Bullrider sulky be lifted up against the mower when it's on a trailer to save floor space?

Oh, and I'm VERY sorry for that typo in the thread title -- should have been comfortable instead of comfortably. I need to have my coffee in the morning from now on before I post something!

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I meant with a couple of mine, not mean

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

The foot platform part can be detached and the "a-frame" mount lifts up and can be chained out of the way. Not as easy as chaining up the whole thing, like a Velke for example, but the Bullrider is too big and heavy to be chained up without removing the main portion of it first.