A Must read MUST reply

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Rody, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Rody

Rody LawnSite Member

Hello,

I am currently joining up with a partner in the landscaping industry. We have never had a previous business nor owned one. The question that I am getting at is this:

Is the economic status in which we are in right now gonna effect us in starting a new business or hasnt the economy been much effected in the landscaping field? Are newcomers to the industry like us going to make it in a highly filled lake region with many big lake homes the target? Are we at a high risk being neither of us has had too much experience with the landscaping industry? We both have had many jobs but are both going to be just turning 21 so we are in fact young. Do you think we can make it? This is not a hoax and has been thought out very well and everything has been falling into place so far. I was just wondering if we could hear back from some of you big wigs to see what you thought. If you are thinking we are just some young guys who are just trying something (in which we are) and it will never work because of the fact you dont think we have what it takes well then you need not respond because as you can tell we are two very determined people who know and have what it takes, so work is not a problem. It is the question that we are wondering in that we know we are taking a risk just as anybody does when starting their own business, but any helpful hints, web sites, information, equipment, ideas, questions, people to talk to, companys to go through, trailers to haveor to be needed, how much capitol is needed to work with, how much do you think i could get started with in dollar amounts? ANYTHING in which anyone on here could help us with or about is well worth it so please send anything you would like to say to me or my e-mail if you dont wanna respond on this site. My e-mail is robie_00@hotmail.com and if you are really looking to help me and want to send me anything in mail then please e-mail me and let me know and my address information will be given to you for further information or requests.

We are determined and are going to be starting this spring, this is just a message for any helpful opinions or information which anyone would have for newcomers to the landscaping industry.

Thank You Much,
    Josh & Mike:angel:

2. JSG

JSG LawnSite Member
    from MI

A slow economy affects just about everybody in some way.
    I would suggest you work for another landscaper in your area
    for 5-10 years before even considering venturing out on your
    own. With little or no experience your chances of success are
    slim at best. Learn the business inside and out through education
    and work experience before laying out the money it takes to
    start a business. Get a degree in horticulture or landscape
    design first.

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Rody -

I'm not sure that you'll like my answer, but I'm going to give it anyway...

A slow economy is a slow economy. That being said, some people can thrive in any environment. Are you the kinds that can? Only you can answer that one.

As for whether or not you can make it, if you're determined to do it and don't want to hear from us if we think you can't, then I guess I don't understand that part of the question. Our answers are moot.

As for help in epqt, etc, you're in the right place. Use the search function. Search, search, search. There is more info here than you will ever get through. What's more you'll find that you get a better response to your threads if we know you've run a search, because otherwise, some of us that are longer in the tooth here get bored answering the same questions over and over. We might have the perfect answer, but if we know that you don't want to take the time to look, we may not want to take the time to answer.

Good luck on your search!

4. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

it seems to me like you's already have made up your mind, but I agree with the statements made above. If your going to start out and just cut lawns... fine... good luck. BUT if you plan on doing other aspects of landscaping, then i would suggest that you go out and work for another company for a few years to gain experience. Nothing is more important than hands on experience in this industry.

5. creative concepts

creative concepts LawnSite Member

Rody,

It seems like you have the energy to start a landscape firm, but I agree with the others. If you are going to strictly do lawn maintenance then give it your best shot and ALWAYS BE HONEST WITH THE CUSTOMER. One sure fire way to fail right from the begining is to lie to the client. If you do not kow how to do something or if you don't know the answer, then tell them. If you want to get involved in other aspects of landscaping, then please for the benefit of the industry as a whole, work for someone else for a while to gain the knowledge you will need. Also attend seminars, co-op programs and college classes to gain more insight on landscaping and businessmanagement. If you need more help, contact me and I will do my best

Chris
    CREATIVE CONCEPTS

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well I agree with most of the above except the comments that the economy will hold you back. I don't necessarily agree with that. In Oregon we have the highest unemployment rate in the nation right now. And yet homes are selling quicker than ever, we are getting more calls and jobs per month than any previous year, and I haven't seen any of my existing clients cut back or discontinue service because of finances.

And even if the economy is slower, it just means you gotta work a little harder. It's like a black man saying, "Hey, some people are racist still in America. Should I give up the idea of owning a business because some people might discriminate?" The answer is NO! It may be true that some people will discriminate, just as it may be true that not as many people as before will use a lawn care service. But it's not a big percentage in either case. It just means you gotta advertise and work a little harder than you would have otherwise. No big deal.

That being said, I think anyone can do well at this business if they have determination, a little bit of aptitude, and are willing to learn, even in the midst of a recession.

Your biggest problem (and there's probably no convincing you of this right now) is the partnership. IMO, Partnerships are doomed from day one.

That's my 2 cents.

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Historically, landscape design and installation is the better profit area, with an average 20% annual return on investment. Landscape maintenance, except on specialty areas like chemical applications, is just an average 10% return.

However, the installation side is highly responsive to economic cycles, but the maintenance side is fairly stable through these same cycles. That is why you see most green industry players covering both agendas.

As far as starting a business in a slow economy, that is the best test of your planning and determination. If you succeed as a startup in a slow economy, you are gauranteed to be successful in any economic climate. (As long as you continue to watch your planning and operational structure.)