a mystery

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Dec 12, 2007.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Ran into this yesterday and it's a mystery to me how it cracked.

It's a RainJet RJ711. I noticed the installer used some kind of pipe joint compound instead of Teflon tape... the other 7 valves of the same vintage on the property are fine. It hasn't been cold enough for freezing, and these are sheltered anyway.

No kids, but they have a 160 lb. 3/4 wolf 1/4 malamute beast (very friendly actually, and handsome) but I can't imagine he would have been that rambunctious because the 2 valves just next to it are fine. The valve was less than a foot from the house wall.

Any thoughts?

BTW the pipe shattered when I went to cut it. Just one more reson to use TOE nipples (UV resistance).

DSCN0793.JPG

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to say downward pressure/weight, but maybe not.

3. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Member
    from nunya

no teeth marks on the valve?? lol, i have a husky/malamute... and let me say, i wouldnt put anything by her... either that, or something like a garden hose could have been tangled up in the area, and when the homeowner went to get the hose out, they could have been pulling on the hose, and not paying attention to what it was caught on.... who knows, i just pulled that out of nowhere.... my bets on the dog, they are notorious for messing with EVERYTHING....

4. That is a very different kind of split. Not last years freeze damage?

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ain't never sen notin like dat. werd. maibe somtin wer droped on it? :)

6. An-A

An-A LawnSite Member

Defective batch probably

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

More than likely that got hit, and hit hard.