A new customers neighbor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, Apr 26, 2006.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a new account in a new neighborhood for me. As I was trimming I saw a truck roll by a little slow. He turns around and and pulls over directly across the street from where I am mowing. So I watch him for a second, come to find out he mowes the house directly across from where I was working. This is the first time I'm at this property and first cut of the year. I was trimmimg away at the property and he goes about his business. We finish up within 2
    minuntes of each other he finishes up first and leaves.
    I am across the street so I take a quick look at hish work. I noticed a few problems that I would find unexceptable
    1. He did not trimming at all
    2. He did not blow off the driveway or walkway

I tell this to my wife, and she tells me to go over there and talk to the home owner. I haven't yet what do you guys think I should do??

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but you could get them a flyer, and if they are unhappy, they will call you.....

3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i agree, let your work do the talking for you !! after a while they will notice the diff. between you and the guy they have mowing for them...

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe the customer didn't want to pay for trimming and blowing.Maybe he had to be somewhere and will come back to finish.Maybe one should mind ones own work and not attempt to take anothers out from under his nose.Like said above..let your work speak for yourself.What you think is acceptible and what his customer wants to pay for may be two different things.

5. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Let the neighbor wonder why your customers lawn always look good and his like ****. I wouldnt go cutting him down to his customer though, besides being unproffesional I think that should be one of the unwritten laws of business ethics...like scags said, let your work do the talking.

6. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't do anything yet!! I was stating the obvious

7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i think bobby talked about this kind of situation in a previous thread. have a mowing crew and a trimming crew that run at different times because the trimming guy always got done faster.. maybe thats what this guy is doing?

8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

CATV is doing the same thing now (at least here). They send out the contractor to wire the home then send out an in-house tech to connect the box/modem etc...Stupid in my honest opinion.

9. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Well said..:clapping: This is exactly the reason I refuse to do bi-weekly cuts. I had one call yesterday from a customer I plowed for in the winter. She is now selling her home and was just calling around for price. I guess I happened to be on the price shopping list but I did not and will not take the bi-weeklys. Someone like the OP could get the wrong impression (more importantly, the neighbors) regarding my work ethics and I am too busy to kick some butt.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sorry man--I think you should either tell your wife SHE should go talk to the owner of the house across the street OR she should stick to doing the books and working in the kitchen. JMO.

I am really not trying to be flippant. in the insurance industry, going after another agent's policy is called "twisting". so I will use that term here for going after another LCO account.

I have "twisted" accounts before and lost some the same way...the potential for problems exist...ie: an asswhuppin could result from that activity.

it has happened here before (but of course, not by me :angel: ).

my point is, if you try to twist the account...just be careful and watch your back. good luck.

GEO :)