A new iPhone App - Need your thoughts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Classified, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone,

Im not programmer but my brother in law is and We are going to start working on an iPhone app that could help us as applicators. This isnt a sales pitch or anything but Im just looking for your thoughts and opions weather its worth the time to create or not.

What I had in mind was a chemical calculator. Say you need to find out how much N you need to put down in a lawn or say your mixing up a tank of chemicals and need to know how much of each chemical to to put in the tank, this would tell you that and do all the math for you. I would also eventually like to add in a database of non compliant chemicals so that you dont mix 2 chems that are incompatable with each other and also eventually a database that has all weed types and what/when/how the best way to kill them is. But I need your help also, like your thoughts on the whole thing and any ideas to make the app work for you and be a great resource. I also want to tap into the gps tracking of the iPhone so that way you can track your pattern and also your amount applied. Im not sure how accurate that is but I hope to try it out. I have a some other ideas that will further this app in a way I cannot say just yet but this would just be the foundation for something that could be huge.

Please lets not turn this into a cepphone thread but in turn keep it based on your thoughts, recomndations and ideas on the app.

Thanks!!

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'd be interested.

Look into Apple's marketing system before you invest a bunch of your time into this.

Best selling apps are $1.99 and less.

Are you willing to work for that kind of money?

Don't forget Apple will take a slice of that $1.99 FIRST.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck! There are so many variables in the methods of application and the amount of water per 1000 sqft, and the speed of application equipment. Permagreen? Z-spray? Skid sprayer? Backpack?

4. Classified

Well I hope for this to be a very in depth program. The guy doing all the math equations is sorta like rainman lol. I just talked to him and the app is a go and I'm pretty excited to get it going. Hopefully it will be done around spring time of 2010
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. EVM

EVM LawnSite Senior Member

I agree; there is a ton of variables. If you can make the app a viable option I will pay $50.00 for it but it has to be complete; no BS. I would also pay $5.00 for 6 month updates for new chemicals. You are never going to be able to use the GPS in the phone for anything near accurate.

6. drobin

drobin LawnSite Member

that is a great idea, I love my iphone, and have it on me while I work, this would be very helpful and I would buy it

7. Classified

Thanks for the support. Its not going to be easy and there are a bunch of features that I want in there that would make it an incredible resource including weed ID and other things. Its going to be a lot of work but if it helps me and others it will turn out just the way I want it. The guy doing all the equations and programming is pretty excited to get working on it as well.

I figured the gps wont work accurately but maybe for golf courses or large areas it may work better. not for small lawns.

Im thinking too that 6 month updates will need to happen or at least a yearly update before each spring. The IPhone is a very powerful tool and it nearly a mini computer, it just so happens to work as a phone too, ha.

8. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Any telephone OS app that caters to lawn service (especially weed control) would be most welcome. I would love to be a beta tester.

PCs are gonna slowly die, IMO. Smartphones are the future. They will replace you home phone, keys, credit cards, remote controls...etc. They are real productivity machines and their potential is just being recognized, soon all these uses will be a reality.

9. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

make sure it can be used on black berry storms also

10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I would love something like this. Would it be available for blackberry's?