A new kind of scrub!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnstudent, Apr 4, 2002.

1. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Have you guys seen the ads for the new Toro iMow Robotic Mower? You bury a wire around the perimeter of your yard and this electric mower does the rest for you automatically while you sip mint juleps. Is this the future of lawn care? Are we going to lose out to the iMow scrubs?

jim

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Much like the Husqy version of this unit. Look what it cuts with though. Do you think this is real healthy for the entire lawn? How does it look when it's done? I had to laugh when some posted (it was last year, I think) that they would like to see one and flip it over on it's back like a turtle. Is this robot cruelty?:eek:

3. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I am cetain that if there is a market for this little critter that they will imporve it. The Toro WEB site indicates that you send the iMow out more than once a week so that you can always have the perfect lawn. It will not take too much to use an electronic eye to monitor the grass height. Grass grows a 1/4" and send out the iMow! I don't think we will see an immediate impact, but I'm certain over time this will sell.

jim

4. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

Husqvarna has had their own version of this on the market since 1998. I don't see this as being a concern to our industry anytime in the near future. It's current model is more of a toy for someone with too much money and time on their hands, who is looking to experiment.

Although, if George Jetson had lived on the ground, I am sure this is how he would have cut his lawn :)

5. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

Wow, I remember that from my college days in the late 70's.

That idea has been around for many years.....................The first proto-type was going to take almost a week to mow 15mft/2.

Constantly cutting.........................24/7.

It used a micro-processor.........................Hey, in 78 that sounded high-tech.

Hadn't even heard of Astroids yet.

Loved the George Jetson take.........................Row ra ron, Rorge.

6. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

It is a lot closer than you think. The major drawback right now is a legal one. It is called an attractive nusicance. In other words, if your robot is out cutting the grass like it is supposed to do and a driver is going down the street admiring your machine and goes off the road, it will be your fault because your actions caused his lack of due diligence. Plenty of case law to back up this principal, ask any railroad.

If you want to see the modern day version go to any John Deere dealer and ask to see the brochures on gps systems and light bars. There is no difference between a dixie chopper and a 27 row combine other than sheer size, they both cut.

The real scary thing is that you have to be ready to make the investment in this new technology when it becomes available. The first guys in the market will get all the business because they will be able to underbid their competitors because they won't have labor per se. I think Tru Green is giving this a lot of thought and this is why they are deciding to enter the lawn mowing area now

Did I mention the little laser robot that sits out in the yard and vaporizes catepillars off the trees from three miles around. No pesticides---tree huggers gotta love these machines.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

good god, fireball...lack of due diligence? what the friday, over.

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless this thing hovers in the air its going to leave squiggly lines all over the yard, won't that be attractive. What happens when it runs over a sleeping cat? Or gets caught in a hole? Yea the manufacturers will love it, 24 hr a day. OOh lots of expensive parts and service.

Mark

9. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

We have been developing robot mowers down here for over 100 years,this is nothing new,you erect a low fence around the lawn,the robot mower is placed inside it,they automatically trim the grass,they are nearly silent,they mow the grass night and day,they require no artifical fuel source,there is no wires or cords on the lawn.The robot mower will also apply organic fertiliser over the lawn as required and as a added bonus it will also trim all small shrubs and trees with in the fenced in area.When the robot mower becomes obsolete it is completely bio degradable,all parts can be used for other purposes so there is no enviromental issuse with its disposal.I think Toro is just pulling the wool over you guys eyes.I have attached a photo of 2 robots in action.
    >

>

>:D

sheep 3.jpg

10. laynlow

laynlow LawnSite Member

I saw a remote control vaccum cleaner made by Hoover or Kirby, don't recall. The idea was you sit your fat, dumb, and happy butt on the couch and control the vac with your remote. That caught on well too. I also recall that test they conducted with 10 or so cars being guided by sensors embedded in the highway. The cars maintained a perfect speed, a spacing of 3 feet apart, and a straight line. Do you know any drivers that are going to let a computer drive their car soon? I know some who should, but that's another story.

BTW, the legal principle that fireball is describing is mainly used when someone does something that is shocking and distracting. For example, a woman flashing passing motorist or a real life example when Hooters was sued over a advertising billboard that caused several male drivers to have an accident.

Later