1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

a NEW kind of stuck!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I just thought I'd share my early morning predicament with you all just to see if anyone else has ever been stuck this way!!!

I got rained out again Sunday afternoon as I was trying to catch up from 2 other rain days + holiday extras earlier in the week. So I had an account I had to get to early this morning. I am always reluctant to mow there when it's wet, but it had to be done and for some reason unknown to me, I didn't think to go ahead and load the Murray LT to cut the "iffy" stuff.

So anyways, I'm cutting along waiting until the very last to cut this nasty slope. As I started out on the bottom all was fine, not as steep there. Then as I get to the steepest area, I'm still OK, so I mow on across.

Now here's where it gets good.... I get to the end of the row...and you guessed it!!! I'm stuck!!! But in a different kind of way. The Z is there at the end of the row stuck. It won't turn up the hill, it won't turn down the hill, it won't back up....NOTHING!!!

So there I am in utter amazement, stuck sideways on the side of a hill. :dizzy:

Has this ever happened to you?
  2. Nope.........

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Yup. Have a friend who I cut 1 BIG lawn with. We get stuck like that at least once a week on average. 2 good ways to handle it. 1) have another machine handy to pull you out. 2) dump the hydros and push or pull it out on your own.
  4. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in situations with my 36 Stander on steep hills that I would experience some tire spin with the up hill tire, but that was it. My biggest problem with my Z is those spots where it don't look that bad til you get ini. It's a full throttle wet/mud bath to the other end and not a pretty set of tracks. Both can get stuck easily on flat soaked turf that does not drain.
  5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

That's the problem we have with a couple properties. One is kind of a back field that we don't have to worry about looks, just cut the grass. That is fun, because we can really open up the ZTR and see what it can do. A few weeks ago, I was skirting a wet spot, and had to keep the speed up to avoid getting stuck. Had twin rooster tails of mud flying up behind the tires! I hadn't meant to get that close to the wet spot, but it was fun. The next week we didn't get so close.
  6. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Been stuck with a GDane Surfer but it was in a ditch where I bit off more than I could chew. The deck ended up stratteling(sp) a high section of the ditch bank with the lower tires trapped in the bottom of the ditch and the top tires trapped under the top of the ditch bank so I quickly shut the blades off and just started manuvering around and pushing and pulling for about 5 minutes to get it out. Needless to say I scalped that little section pretty bad but that will be the last time I don't trim it.
  7. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

i have been stuck on level ground and cant move, but never on a hill and cant move.
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

So? What did you do?
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I got off, released the pumps, released the parking brake, went to the front and gave it the Hulk-heave-hoe to get the front end started down the hill. It took off and as it passed by I chased for the parking brake, which luckily I was able to grab and set. From there I just watched it make like a sled to the bottom.

What a mess. :(
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Envy - I can't believe you just pushed it down the hill. I think I would have tried a couple of other things before I did that. Like get some help or another machine there.

I was able to get my Z unstuck last week just by grabbing the castor arm, picking up the front end and spinning the mower around 90 degrees. That got one wheel out of the mud. Mind you that I'd not that big of a guy either...about 180lbs.