1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A new Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Dec 28, 2003.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Have some questions for you all but first I wanted to say I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I did.

Anyways, I have this client that asked me to do a renovation on her lawn and I agreed. As you can tell this is my first one. I'm going to kill all the grass and then go over it with an overseeder. But is it neccessary to kill the exisiting grass if I use an overseeder? I'm basing this question on the fact that my local rental stores will have one. Then of course I will apply a good starter fert to it. Irrigation in place so it will be easy to keep moist. I'm charging her $45/sq.ft. + Rental fees for this-does that sound reasonable?

I thank those who wish to help me-I have done a couple extensive searchs aleady that have helped alot. I just wanted to run this by others before I perform this in the spring. THANKS!
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to completely kill the existing lawn why not just till the ground and hydroseed. Overseeders work but they can be troublesome. If the ground is bumpy or you don't match up the patterns you will have gaps in the new lawn. If you have a good amount of desirable grasses, I would suggest not killing off the existing lawn but treating the weed problems and then overseeding.

Also, if you do use an overseeder overlap your pattern by 60 or 90 degrees.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

$45 a sq. ft ???????????????????? I think you forgot a dot somewhere:laugh:

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

don't forget a soil test best 25.00 you will spend if you don't kill the lawn you better put the same seed down that is already their trust me i have seen malty color lawns
  5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Overseeding will be fine, as long as the reason you are renovating isnt becasue of the weeds. If she is looking for density then I would overseed. I would charge 65.00 per 1000sqft. Also I am not familiar with Utah's climate right now. but if you are overseeding now it would be dormat seeding here in Indiana which is poopular but usually done only on well established lawns becasue nothing will germinate until spring.
    I would also charge for the starter fert.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

$45 a square ft = $450,000 for a 10,000 square ft lawn. I guess that is the winter moneymaker everyone is looking for.
  7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Ok here is the deal. Give me 10 of those lawns at $45 per sq. ft. and I will retire in two weeks. Talkin about a NEW YEAR!:cool2: :drinkup: :dizzy: :D
  8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't see the point in killing off the existing lawn. What is the actual problem? Is the grass thin or patchy? You should be able to seed over the existing lawn. ie: overseeding Here is what I do and it seems to have great results. Aerate the lawn alot ( over lap 2-3 times ), then spread seed with a spreader, and finally apply fert. Has always produced good results.
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

HE!! i figured if she would go $45 sq.ft. for overseeding I was gonna offer sod at $47 sq. ft. that would be a good deal for her!:laugh: :laugh:payup
  10. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

that price cant be right