1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A new low for companys

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

today i was finishing mowing up a client and another lco was watching me, i thought nothing of it. i get done and leave. the client calls me to cancel an hour later. and tell me why. the lco (a big local company) that was watching me went to talk to the client, told him the way i mow it will cause the grass to die in big sections. and the proper way was to always mow the same direction each time. :confused: i told him that i do it the proper way of one week go north to south and the next east to west. well the client said the other lco, i was wrong i don't know jack since my truck and all my equipment/trailer is not worth $70,000 like his is (he had chrome 24' rims). so long story short i lost a account to a bling bling (truck had chrome 24' rims trailer had matching 18' rims) lco. why do other SOB lco's have to stoup so low to screw another lco. low balling is fine but dont slander another lco if it an't true.
  2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Lets see pics of this pimpin truck
  3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i know a guy who is probably the cheapest person on earth. he rides his bike everywhere, wears really old and outdated clothes and makes dinner every other night with hamberger helper. Turns out he used to be a usga agronomist. he also owns several golf courses he built from the ground up and has a masters from harvard in golf course design. The moral of the story here is that your appearance has nothing to do with your turf knowledge. The customer doesn't know his ass from a hole in the wall and you are better off without him.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This kind of problem fixes itself, it is a matter of what goes around, comes around.

That guy stole your client, and this will come back to haunt him, guaranteed.
    Yup, even if you do nothing to help it along (it's better if you don't).

p.s.: Don't forget to add $5 to this customer's service right now, just in case they call you back next year, it will be $5 more than now... Yes this requires maintaining a small 'inactive' customer section somewhere, and it doesn't always happen (i.e.: more than a few never call you back), but when it does, it's a great way to get an automatic price raise.
  5. Frontier-Lawn

it was a black one that looked kinda like this one
  6. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

If sure would be funny, if after the 2nd time they cut it, the grass died.

*cough* roundup *cough*

7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

its business people gotta do whatever necessary to make money and succeed even if it means lying .... its un ethical but most dont care
  8. Frontier-Lawn

the bad thing is i know what he charges and he charges $50 per cut for a 5,500sf or less lawn. i charge $25 per and just barely can get my foot in the door for that cost.
  9. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

:clapping: :weightlifter: I like it. :gunsfirin
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The simple thing would be to do is look up some info on the proper care, and the vast majority of informative sites say this about cutting multiple directions. Ask the customer why ar golf courses are cut in different directions? Is it possible thatall these superintendants with masters degrees are wrong, and maybe they should divert all of Purdues and Michigan States students over to this guy with the chrome wheels? Let the customer know that mowing in multiple directions stops matting, ensures all thegrass is being cut evenly (undulations), and keeps excess wear on the turf happening from wheel marks. I wish that guy was around HERE, because I'd pull up to him and HIS jobs with MY truck with chrome rims and matching trailer with chrome rims and give both his customers AND him an education.:)