A new "not blue" mower for me.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I finally gave my Kodiak Dixon the axe this past week. It was plagued with failures in the hydro system and the Kohler engine needed a valve job plus is was burning a LOT of oil, and it only had 920 hours on it! The cut on it was pretty nice for sure, but it was lacking still.

I traded it off for a new Grasshopper 227 with the 3 bag catcher. Overall I really like the machine so far, just used it part of yesterday and all day today, have about 8 hours on it i think. As soon as I got it home I started tweaking on it.
    *removed the ROPS and seatbelt
    *changed the blades for highlifts instead of the "medium" ones that don't pick up grass for crap.
    *Gave it a good once over for loose anything.

After a couple hours I really tore into it.
    *removed the front weight, total of 125 pounds that's "supposed" to counter balance the catcher. I can pack the bags FULL and the front isn't even light running up a slope! The weight just made the machine hard to steer and sluggish
    *Moved the catcher about 3 inches over to the blower side. (included drilling new holes in the catcher, lol) For whatever reason they had it even with the deck trim side. Made it impossible to even get close to stuff without hitting it on things. Suprisingly the 3" move made a world of difference!

Kinda anal on my part I guess to have to have things a certian way, but I know what I like and what works for me!

It has the 27 hp Kohler, 61" deck. Cuts awesome but it's a horsepower HOG. I don't know what it is about grasshoppers that make them eat so much power??? Talked to the dealer about it and he said it's how it should be. Going through semi-tall grass it really bogs the engine, even just driving it works the engine. Others I tried (same brand) were the same way. I didn't get to try other brands though, maybe they are all similar?

I also got the suspension seat... If you are in the market for a new machine, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $$$ on one! I never knew I could mow and not have my teeth bounced out!

Only real compilants; the power issue and the ground speed. The manual says 10 mph, but so did my Dixon, and I KNOW the dixon was running faster. The GH is maybe topping out at 8mph. Most of the time I have the handles as far as they will go and I wish I had more speed there, especially for transport...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, it LOOKS like it sits really high, but it's more of an illusion then anything because the fuel tank is under the seat instead of riding high above the tires on either side of the seat.
    [​IMG]

2. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Congrats! I have ran my buddy's 227 before and can say its a good runner. Grasshopper is a great machine, very tough! I am still in love with my 614 front mount, and other than its longer than $hit, I have no complaints about it at all. Happy mowin'

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on the purchase!

Give the engine time to break in good and power up.
    You'll gain a little power and loose a little fuel consumption.

It's already time to change the oil... don't forget that.

A question though... I thought Grasshopper was going to change the white part of their "bag" catcher. Maybe I was mis-informed or maybe it didn't happen?

4. Jason Rose

I had not heard that.... They do have steel top catchers (twin bag only) available, but the problem with those is that the top dosn't open, the bags can only slide out. Not fun to empty.

I guess I will change the oil tomorrow evening... Didn't think about changing it this soon. ( will use the correct Dino oil)

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Use 10w30 or 15w40 dino oil.

6. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

Jason, do you normally bag all year or do you mulch. I hate bagging, course my side bagger on my Hustler sucks.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad about your other mower...a mower with 900 hours should not have those kinds of problems yet.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

5.5" deep deck:cool2: sweet:cool2: :waving:

9. Jason Rose

Bag, about 98% of the time. Look around... Everyone in this town bags. Iv'e tried mulching or discharging and the mess associated with both is just not worth it! I'm hoping that I can "get by" with discharging a little with the Grasshopper, it does an excellent job at that, but then there's the summer leaves to deal with. I don't like getting called and asked why I didn't clean up the leaves when I mowed, plus I think it looks tacky as well.

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Let the engine break in for about 100 hours. Then check the no load RPM and see if it needs set up to factory specs. also, you can adjust out the stop screws slightly to increase ground speed. These are located right at the base of the handles