a new one for me?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by HicksGroundMgt, Oct 28, 2003.

1. customer calls the other day and wants to add to her existing rip rap sea wall. the rip rap is going to range between the size of footballs to basketballs and will have to be spotted by hand. the dump trucks delivering the RR can fortunately back into the back yard and get as close as i want to the wall.

before anyone suggests a search on rip rap, i already have done it but most everything was related to pond work. i've thought of getting a mini x but i'd have to rent it and no yards put thumbs on the minis around here.

how many tons per hour should a man be able to stack on average? i've done retaining wall work in the past but this i feel is a whole different animal than precast block.

2. 87 of you guys have read this post but not one of you can come up with an idea of how many tons of stone a guy can stack in a hour!?

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

been a very long time since I worked with any rip-rap ... is it going in cages? If this is to be done by hand it sounds like a very tedious, labour intensive job. Probably go about .75 yd3 per man hour.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If it were me I would go as far as you need to get a mini ex with a thumb. Spreading rip rap by hand is a long, tedious job. I would factor the mini ex into the job and pass the cost of transport into the bid. You get it great, if you don't let someone else fling rock by hand or look at this way if you are biding doing it by hand your not going to beat the guy that is biding to do it with an excavator anyway. As far as an answer to your question I have no idea. How fit is your labor, how big is the rip rap, how far are they carrying it by hand, weather conditions. If you have no other choice and really want the job go cost plus 10% if the customer will go along with that. Its safer than biding the job if your really not sure how fast it can be done.

5. GreginAlaska

GreginAlaska Banned

That would kind of depend on the man, wouldn't it? I would think that Arnold SW. would stack a lot more than Woody Allen.

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

7. capital

capital LawnSite Member

We do rip rap for ponds and creek beds and use skid loaders and can do 45 tons on the high side in a day with the low side being 15 tons in hard to work areas.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry for asking a dumb question, but what is rip-rap? Thanks!