A new partnership

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnInOrder, Mar 13, 2007.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

well after i had a partner last year and we split up i an very concerned about starting a new one with another person. This kid, 16 years old, me being 17 and can drive wants to join up. He has about 15 houses and i have about 20. The thing he brings to the tbale is that he knows how to do landscaping and does a good job. His father was a landscaper and his brother who now owns his own mason company. His brother that does mason work used to own a LCo and we can still get some of his old accounts back if we call. If i join up with him, we would use my truck and use his enclosed trailer which would be parked at his brothers lot. We would also have access to a bobcat skidsteer and a dump truck if needed since his brother has an extra one. He also has a 2005 36" scga and a older walker 42" that doesn;t run and all echo hand helds that he would be using. I just don;t know if i should join up or what. It would be good cuz he has extra equipment and other resoucres for like big landscaping jobs but i dunno if it would work out. what do you guys think? Let me know. Thansk LawnInOrder

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Stay on your own.

3. tell me again why you think you need a partner.

4. TurfDesign Eric

TurfDesign Eric LawnSite Member

Dude, I'm 30, I have a partner who is my cousin & it's frustrating the heck outta me. In the next day or two, I'm gonna go my own way. (by the way, we're supposed to be partners but I pay for everything.) If you can swing it, you're better off on your own.

5. LawnInOrder

Reasons for partner:

Not in any particular order
    #1. has dump truck and bobcat skidsteer for landscaping jobs and mulch jobs
    #2. has mowers, blowers, weedwakcers
    #3. has an ENCLOSED trailer
    #4 Has a lot where i can put my extra equpiment
    #5. has client list form his brother and and porb get most of them back. His bro had about 45 accounts.
    #6. he isn;t lazy like my old partner and he does good work and his clients are happy with him.

i know there are negativies to a partner, but those positives I listed are pretty good.

I think i am going to stay on my own, just wanted to see what you guys thought. Anyone have a good partnership? let me know

6. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Forget the partner, go with employees if you need more labor

7. now I wonder why the other guy needs a partner with all that.

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can agree on money then why not, you could do way more yards with 2 then 1. Besides it would open the door with more possibilities down the road. If you know him well and can trust him then I personally don't see why not.

9. LawnInOrder

well the truck and bobcat isn;t his, it is his brothers so we could use it if we needed. He can;t drive so he wouldn;t be able to get the accounts becasue they too far away to walk to. the blowers, scag and weedwackres were his brothers. He worked for hsi brother for free and his brother "paid" him with teh equpiment. and the trailer is the old landscaper metal enclosed trailer that needs sum welding but i know how to weld so it wouldn;t be hard. and the lot is his bros. He wants to join becasue he can;t drive and we are BOTH motivated and do good work and take pride in it. I don;t need more labor, otherwise, like stated above, i would hire some workers. I was looking at expanding my capablilty's and accounts. LawnInOrder

10. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Then he dont bring much to the table at all.I bet he would help you out on any of your installs and if you like you could split that down the middle or how ever.I would'nt do it if I was you