A new step for lawn renovations?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turfsolutions, Jul 30, 2003.

1. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure many of you have seen the product that is used to aid in watering problems for plant material. It comes in a gel with the consistancy of a rubbery slime and is placed in the soil around the root zone. This will supposedly take the place of watering during dry periods for up to 3 months.

My lawn care product distibuter has a granular product that works the same way for plant material, but he didn't mention using it on the lawn. He claims that the product lasts up to 2 years in the soil. Why not spread this out over the lawn after aeration? Will this product solve watering problems for those lawns without an irrigation system? Could this be a new step in lawn renovation? Unfortunately I didn't get the product name, but I will respond back with it later. I was just curious if any of you have used it in this way? Just a thought.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have used something similar before, I think it was called Soil Moist. I think cost would be a factor when applying it to lawns. I know the small container for plants was pretty expensive.

3. DaleL

DaleL LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

Yeah I've heard of the product. The one my supplier tried to talk me into using on a re-sod job was called 'Terra Sorb' Hydogel. He stated that it did not take much product per 1000 feet - maybe 3#/1000. He also said that the product was supposed to last a long time. It is actually an acrylamide copolymer gel that absorbs hundreds of times it weight in water then slowly releases it

The info I have here says -

"Sodding, Seeding or Sprigging: Terra Sorb is mixed into the top 2" of soil at a rate of 3#/1000 sf or 150# per acre prior to seeding, sodding or sprigging. Apply by shaker, drop spreader or hand, then rake or rototill in. Not recommended as a topdressing on already establihed turf."

5# Jug = $28.50 50# Box $178.50

BTW, I didn't use it.

DaleL

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i use a product called gel sol in flower boxes and pots works great must mix it in or all you get is slime on top of pot.
    as for lawns it is too expensive but a good idea

5. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Wetting agents, also known as surfactants help move water more efficently through the soil , by reducing surface tension .

6. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

and the crystals didn't last NEARLY as long in the soil in real world conditions. Less than a year I believe. Very expensive too.

7. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Bob,

Great post, I was looking for that kind of info.