A new ZTR!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Jul 9, 2003.

?

What ztr is best?

Poll closed Jul 19, 2003.
  1. EXMARK

35 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. JOHN DEERE

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. GRAVELY

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. WALKER

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

HI ALL FELLOW CUTTERS!

Let me first tell you that I am new to this site, and my name is Ryan , I am from Cambridge, Maryland, and have been in the grass cutting business for about four years. I am 18 years old. I started out with a craftsman 21" 6.0 hp push mower (which I still have and have not had one problem with it (it is 6 or 7 years old). I also had a 50.00 homelite trimmer, and a craftsman blower. At that time I was 15, and could not drive, nor did I have a trailor, so I cut my neighbors yards I started with 3 yards my first year. When I got my liscence I bought a 2001 dodge ram pickup, mom and dad helped with the payments for a little while, until I expanded, and could pay them back! So, then I bought a tiny old 4x8 trailor with wooden floor and sides, now I have about 8 yards, for an entire summer I pushed mowed small to large properties ( some were fairly large). Well finally this year I got a craftsman 42" riding mower for about 1100 bucks from sears. and just about a month ago I bought a 6'4"x12' utility trailor with gate! Boy did I need that! I just could barely fit my rider on that 4x8 trailor, and nothing else.

My question is I am looking for an commercial quality ztr mower that won't set me back a fortune! ( I don't want to spend over 7,000) But what I am looking for is a mower with an EXCELLENT CUT!, and easy maneuverability

Any help will be greatly appreciated, Include sites and pics.

Thanks!

2. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

HUSTLER SUPER Z 60" 25hp Kawasaki $7500 +tax in Tennessee.
    15mph, built like a tank, great cut, handles slopes well, easier maintenence than most and great dealer support (in my area).
    I would also suggest looking at the Exmarks, Scags, and everything else on your list and when I say look at I mean demo! If the dealer won't let you demo one you don't want to use that dealer; plus as you will find if you do a search, this topic is discussed hear daily and you will get 1000 opinions (many different) when what really matters is how the mowers perform to you on your customers lawns. Take the demos to your properties and see which ones you prefer. Having just been through this process I can tell you there are strengths and weeknesses to EVERY ztr out there and only you can judge which ones are more important to you. Best of luck.

3. Duncan Lawn Care

Duncan Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Wright Sentar!!!! You could get a 61" with 25 hp for under $5000.

4. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

Sorry to beat a dead horse... but do a SEARCH!

This topic has been discussed so many times.... and you will always get the Ford-Chevy-Dodge... oops, Scag-Exmark-Hustler-Walker battle.

5. john wesley hardin

john wesley hardin Banned
    from il

Exmark, scag ,hustler are all very good mowers ,and between them the one id buy would be the one with the best dealer support.
    We have lazer z' exmark and scag tiger cub both are very good mowers id recommend either highly.

6. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Try a Great Dane if you have a dealer in your area..

they are awesome mowers that offer an excellent cut and are realtively inexpensive

Demo one if you have a chance!

7. mvoegelisr

mvoegelisr LawnSite Member

Ferris 1000z 52" 23hp Kawisaki.

8. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I hate to be an optimist, but if every person that came to this site ran a search, it would give no one anything to type about.

I'd say that if those are your only options, go exmark. John Deere does not stripe worth a damn.

Check out Textron/Bob-Cat. Absolute tanks, don't break the bank, don't break down. Textron also own Bell Helicopters and one of the Lear Jet Companies. Precision is a must in aviation, and they use the same standards for there mowers.

9. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

one word-HUSTLER

10. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Will anyone tell me why you guys dont like JD? I live in a area that most ppl. use deere.