A nother scrub newbie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doa, Jan 23, 2003.

1. doa

doa LawnSite Member
    from Est. TN

Well I would like to say hello and thanks for having me have been reading here for a week or so and learned a lot !!!!!!

let me give you some info. I am curently in the trucking ind. o/o and have been thinking of lawn care i live in east tn. 25 Min. from crossville this a large retirement town i think 4th. in the us.
    most homes are on 1/2 lots average retirement subdivisions.

my question is real world with the equipment i have what kind of money could a one man oper. expect to generate maby start slow but looking to make a living at this .The tools I have are 36" great dane hyd w/b no sulkey yet (read your post and think the bronco ryder just because i dont know fixed or trail and cant go wrong that way) fs80 stil staight shaft line trimmer 14' trailer,6x12 dump,753 bobcat.

Thanks for reading and would appricate any input

p.s. rember i'm a da** truck driver so please excuse the spelling f350---lol

2. p.s. rember i'm a da** truck driver so please excuse the spelling f350---lol [/B][/QUOTE]

Do not worry about your spelling. This is a grass cutting group. If you knew how to spell and was posting here, now that would be something to worry about.

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I really can't answer your question, but I can give you some questions to ask.

1. What are these lawns being mowed for $? Visit area and ask.
    2. How long will it take to mow? Watch someone else do it and time them.
    3. On Monday morning is there a traffic jam with big trucks and trailers, littering the roadways?
    4. What kind of shape are you in? This is a tough job.
    5. Is there constant turnover or will you have to fight for every little scrap of a yard? If there is turnover, Why?

Mark

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

doa,

I KNOW this is off topic but, if u r a truk driver y do u have a commercial mower?

Back to the topic: I f u put out 30,000 flyers, u should get about 200-300 responses (if good) also, lots of money to be made in this business you just have to get started and word of mouth will get u there. Good luck
    Feel free to pm me or email @ anytime

5. doa

doa LawnSite Member
    from Est. TN

thanks for the reply 1grnlwn not in terrible shape i'm not a real truck drive i guess i'm 34 and couldn't run a Marathon but i can see my shoes

I plan to talk to the lco's here but just trying to get a idea before i go make them mad you understand

6. doa

doa LawnSite Member
    from Est. TN

lawncare3 I just like to have something to work with when I get ready too and good tools pay for their self

7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with u there.

8. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

It all depends on you. First of all, I hope you like to be outside, and I hope you don't mind the heat. Second, being your own boss isn't all fun and games. You've got alot more responsibility when you own the company.
    Educate yourself as fast as you can. The season is right around the corner.:cool:

9. doa

doa LawnSite Member
    from Est. TN

tim thanks for the reply but i do own my own company a trucking company and have for 14yrs.

i'm just trying to get an idea of what one man can realistic do getting the work may be a problem but i need to know if it is possible to do it be i get it

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

doa,

Are you in (or refering to) Fairfield Glade?

If so, the first thing I would do is find out what the old folks there are paying for lawn service....and how much competition you will face there.

The reason I say this is because Fairfield Glade seems to be where a lot of my former penny-pinching retirees moved to when they sold their homes here in Nashvegas.

Most of them would squeeze a nickle so hard the buffalo would scream in pain. Real tightwads....real 'wanting something for nothing' types. Most were looking for 'every 2 week' service at 1970's prices. I'm glad I don't have to deal with them anymore.

Maybe they were saving up for that little slice of heaven near the golf course....and expected me to subsidize it. :)

Not wanting to sound negative...just something to look into before you leap.

Best of luck to you.