a open bid is a open bid !!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by O.R, Mar 15, 2005.

1. O.R

O.R LawnSite Member

Another local company and I are fairly good freinds ,and he has mentioned to me how he is tired of cutting grass. This march there was and advertisement to bid for 5 parks in the town which he has been doing for nine years . Needless to say I bid on them and was awarded them. I consulted with other companies ( freinds ) and they feel like I do that it is also and open bid. Its just that this is a small town and i hate to piss off people. I would be upset if some one took them from me , but business is business I guess. Just wondering what someone else would do , Thanks .I have not accepted them yet , but he knows i got them and is not very happy about it.

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

welcome to the industry...

you lose some, you win some

3. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I agree open bid is open bid, anyone is allowed to bid on it as long as they meet the parameters the city has established. He will get over it soon enough, I wouldnt sweat it.

4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Welcome to the site O.R, nice to see more of Delaware in here. Its your rightful bid, so go with it. Business friends and partners often disagree on things. Hopefully he'll get over it.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Oh well. The end.

6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Business is Business. If they were awarded to you then it sounds like you don't need to accept them. Take them and if your friend is not happy so be it. Unless you knew what he was charging and under bid it to get the property then that is a different matter.

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Good point...but then again if the guy was 'dumb' enough to let him know what he was charging...

still wouldn't make it right...at least morally for me...considering this is a friend.

8. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

I won a city contract last year and lost it friday to the lower bidder by $100.00. You win some and you loose some. I've found that when you loose something God will bless you with something even better. Being that I just got my new bobcat a good load of work in hardscape I think its a good thing I was underbidded. Congratulations to you on the award though. Last years helped my business out alot. I hope your contract does the same for you, your friend will understand that nothing is guaranteed in life.

9. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

It's tough ****. He's got to deal with it. What else is there to say?

If he's your pal and now he's got a grudge, then he is a pretty worthless pal.

So you say he is your buddy and now he is pissed at you for winning that business? Time to find a new friend - the kind who would congratulate you and be a good sport about it.

I totally do not keep "friends" who would treat me as yours is.

watch your language please

10. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm... after re-reading your post... I probably would have never put a bid in if that really was a friend's gig... it's a lack of respect. If you had pricing information or knew how many man hours it took to bang out those jobs as a result of having a friendship with that guy, then you take that info and submit a bid behind his back... well, it's dirty. So I guess he wasn't much of a friend if that were the case. You threw him under the bus, right? I'd be pissed off too if it went down like that.