A Polar Opposite Bobby Gedd Story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T Edwards, Dec 2, 2003.

1. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

The other day we were working an account and the neighbor asked us to please not blow the leaves into her yard, because she already had plenty. Now believe it or not, I did not get confrontational, I did not call the cops, and I did not contact my attorney. What I did do was apologize and strike up a conversation with her about the healthy-looking shrubbery alongside her home. Within 4 minutes she asked what we would charge to do her yard, and an hour and a half later we drove off $90 richer. Any interaction with neighbors of current accounts should always be looked upon as one of the positive moments of the day........unless if you live in NJ, I guess.

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a similar story along those same lines. A gentleman stopped by said he lives a few doors down, likes how we make the house we were working on look, he wants the same service. That man is now a $70,000 per year account and we have had him for 9 years. Good Customer service pays.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm from NJ, and I always look at a client's neighbor as my next potential client. Just respect their property and treat them fairly like Edwards said. I have very few "single stops" because of this principle.

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

T Edwards, you could have made that post without the Bobby back-stab and it would have been just as poinient.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

nice job. but, one thing to remember, the neighbor didn't come out, outraged, red in the face, irate and cursing. this allowed you to "work" the individual, and land a new client. in many of my encounters, the neighbor comes out just as i described, therefor requiring "retaliation" tactics. again, i'm glad you got new client. so, now the total is two?

6. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Yup...doubled my customer base just like that.

7. Johnny

Johnny LawnSite Member

I knew that was coming!!

8. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't been on here long, but sometimes i look forward to reading a bobbygedd story where the customer is irate and raising he!! for no reason at all. :angry: :realmad: :gunsfirin This lets me know that someone else's day was worse than mine.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

me too:)

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I have never had people act like the stories I hear out of NJ.
    I dont envy Rod, Bobby and others that have to work there....I spent a fair amount of time there and in general, the people have a cranky, aggressive attitude...on the other hand, theres allot of old money in NJ....so I guess the good cha-ching there makes up for the people that wake up on the wrong side of the bed everyday