1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

a potential customer wants

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikey, Apr 7, 2002.

1. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

he has little bald spots all over his lawn and basically told me he wants grass to grow on them.I told him i would just go over it with a spreader filled with seeds.was i right by tellin him this or are there other options?
  2. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

the birds will be happy!!!!
  3. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

you gotta do patch work, pending on how bad the area you have to thatch, areate ,and over seed, you should also find out grass won't grow there has to be a reason, where iam from i will thatch soil and hydro seed because of the short season i need it to start growing as soon as possible.
    AK Lawn
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

if you put just seed down the birds will eat it, best approach i think would be soil test, add whats missing, maybe aerate, seed, straw. if you dont want to do all that drow some soil down and seed then straw (ive done it and had fine results).
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The problem now is if you go back and tell him the correct way for you to do it, it will cost you some confidence in the eyes of the customer.

Think I would tell him upon further review I think you should do a complete overseeding to thicken up the entire lawn. Then aerate, seed, and apply a starter fertilizer.
  6. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

seed twice?is that what your saying hoss?ive never tried anything like this b4

7. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

I think what hoss was saying is aerate, seed and ferilize the whole lawn after you tell your customer after further review......blah blah blah.......not seeding it 2x
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

This is correct. Not sure where the seed twice came from.