A product called sharper blade. Any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by outrunjason, Jun 8, 2005.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I doubt anyone has tried this out but I saw it on my local news. It was featured at the local lawn and garden show. I have not seen it in person and really not quite sure how it works. Here is a link to the website and you can watch a quicktime video of the product.

Supposedly the mower blades, edger blades, and weedeater line are made out of nylon. It says that when mowing you will never have to sharpen a blade and when it comes to a rock or something the blade will actually flex and move over the rock. I would like to see that. Let me know if you have heard of this. If anything I might get it for my father and let him use it on his farm. I just can't see that it would work on an 8 hour basis every day.

http://www.sharperblade.com/

Jason

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Its plastic/nylon. I think its probably a load of junk.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

This smells liek a huge rip-off. If you look at the site, the shipping costs are real high and they have a disclaimer of 2-5 weeks for shipping. That's sub-par in my book. And, when you try to order a mower blade, it doesn't even prompt you as to what size you want. What's up with that?

I'd stay away.

4. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

i've got some ocean-front property up here, you'd love to get hold of.

5. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

My bet is that they are all for 21" mowers. They will sell it to you, and when its the wrong size.... oh well.

Kevin

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

HAHAHAHAHHA

When ever you see a manufacture say a blade is "self sharpening" Run away as fast as you can!

I dont see how anyone would believe this stuff!!

7. Mark2232

Mark2232 LawnSite Member

I have tried the Sharperblade mower blade and the weed whacker blade. I found that the lawn cuts just fine and best of all I don't have to worry about my kids getting cut from the blade. The mower blade is 22 inches and they cleverly put cutting lines on it for you to size with your mower. The center of the blade has steel in it but the cutting ends don't. Since you're only cutting through the flexible rubberized material it's easy to cut. I've had the same blade on my mower for 3 years now and it still cuts just as good as it did when I first installed it.

The trimmer blade is awesome! I go all year without having to mess with anything! It even cuts ivy without any problem.:cool2:

8. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like someone is from the sharperblade site to me Mark2232. If you are so sure that the blade will last a whole year send me one for free ill put it on my jd walk behind and in a year ill send it back to you ( whats left of it anyway )!!! sound like a deal? So the rubber will last all year and stand up to sand and rocks but so soft a knife can cut through it? By the way they makes knife edges using rocks so i dont see how it can stand up to rocks when it can be cut by an edge of a blade made from a rock. I am sorry but im calling BS on this. O ya with that mower blade you can throw in one of those edger blades too. I just dont get it if hardened steel cant stand up to this stuff over times how in the world is this rubber stuff or what ever it is? Like i said send me a mower blade and edger blade for free and if it last me an entire year ill buy a bunch but hey if it last a year ill only need like 10 hope you get rich selling one per year to every customer.

9. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just read their web site. On there for the edger blades it says to maximise blade life minimise contact with abrasive materials such as concreat and dirt. So basicly i should hang this thing up in the trailer and never use it right? Of course in the trailer it would probably begin to wear down due to the dust floating in the air comming in contact with it. I think in the trailer is the only place an edger blade will last me a year.

10. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

mark2232 lets put that p.o.s. on my zmaster id bet it would last NO MORE THEN 3 minutes..........