1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A project we are currently working on.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Drafto, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

I have some photos of a job we are currently working on. Walls went well and the pavers are going smooth in this picture is a shot of just the patio area. Ooh.....ah....nice layout.....I know thank you.

2. Drafto

This pic is a close-up of a nice smooth curve. Ooh....ah.......beautiful cuts....thank you.

3. Drafto

This next one is another close up but it is of a meticulous 90 degree herringbone pattern.........ooh.....ahh......nice neat work......thank you.

4. Drafto

And finally this next photo is of a....screeech.....errrrtt.....crash! How the "F" do we fix this! When I got to the site I saw everthing else first, thought it looked great then I walked up on to this monstrasity! What suggestions or solutions does anyone have for this?

A: 1-1/2" gap between the wall which runs tighter as you get away form the house

B: These tapering slivers? Should I just cut them at the seem, leave half pavers and put slivers up against the wall in the border color? The sawcut is crooked also, it will be redone on Monday.

C: High point in the wall, we chiseled off a few but I still have to deal with them somehow, that is what pushed the boder that far way.

D: The house was not straight enough for us to put a square on it to start laying pavers, we started at the bottom of the hill in space and worked towards the house. And before anyone asks, yes we are paving up that hill, and no the people did not want any steps.

I have all weekend to think about how to fix this, I appreciate any input you guys/gals have.

5. ynvvbr

ynvvbr LawnSite Member

IMO, from what
    a) i see Take your soldier coursepush it against the wall and recut all your"cut" pieces to fit. Take a look and see what it looks like.

b)don;t put slivers in your soldier course. It wont look right and you'll have problems with it later.

c)as for this I really cant see what your talking abt except for that lower piece that sticks out of the base ofyour wall??
  6. ynvvbr

ynvvbr LawnSite Member

PS: Awesome curves and Nice herringbone pattern!!!
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would just knock in a 1x2 piece of pressure treated wood and call it good there..not much you can do to make that work.I sure don't like those little peices of pavers in there like that at all.Or rebuild the wall pushing in your lower course..yea that's it rebuild the wall
  8. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why you're Sheshovel and the rest of us are working.

Dan, did you build the wall?

Other than the pic with the wall, the work looks good.

BTW, WTF did you screed sand on the hill?
  9. Drafto

Yes, we built the wall, that is the 3-6 combo wall I was asking you about last week. Kirk (Dreams to Designs) came down and shed a little light as to how it goes. I notice in your response you didn't have any good solutions for the problem.

We are paving up that hill Mike, and 2 others! I will get some more shots of the different walks and elevations, it is quite an interesting job. We screeded our sand to get a definative line for our transition up the hill, we didn't get to laying up it though so we will re-screed on Monday.

How about some more suggestions as to how to fix the gaps? And moving the wall or re-laying the entire filed of pavers is not an option.

10. Drafto

I was thinking along these lines but I was going to push my soldier course out to the wall in an un-even matter. Then cut a line to straighten out the soldiers on the field side then cut my field pavers to butt up against my newly cut soldiers.

Does anyone understand what I just said?